1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO's Boardwalk Empire

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 20, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Just watched the show. It wasn't too dynamic. I may give it a couple more shows, nothing like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, or the Sopranos. I liken it to the boring episode of Detroit 187 that I am currently watching.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, I didn't catch that until I read Sepinwall's review. You had to listen closely to the conversation Jimmy had with Capone out by the cars while the big wigs were inside meeting.

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I believe Terence Winter was the writer on a lot of Sopranos episodes. I'm excited about this show because this era is so rarely covered in either movies or TV. One thing I couldn't believe was Scorsese saying they asked Asbury Park to film there and Asbury TURNED THEM DOWN. Yeah, cause that town doesn't need a shot in the arm. Unreal.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The broad character of Asbury Park has . . . shall we say . . . changed. Ask
    people who have lived there for more than a decade how things are, now.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, Asbury is pretty cool these days. Magic, where did you see that Asbury Park said no. I've read several places, most recently the article linked below, that the producers considered Asbury, but decided against it for a variety of reasons.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20100919/ENT/100917058/1005/NEWS01/HBO+gangster+series+re-creates+old+Atlantic+City++—+in+Brooklyn

6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Actually, Ben and Jake, we've vacationed in Asbury the past two summers so spent more than two weeks there recently. Asbury has changed somewhat but they definitely could have filmed there. I saw an interview with Scorsese on the On Demand segments of Boardwalk Empire. I think it was in the preview one because I haven't had a chance to watch them all yet.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Scorsese said in the pre-show that they wanted to film in Asbury Park, but the city didn't want them.
    I have no reason to think he's lying, but his opinion about why it didn't work isn't necessarily the truth. He made some comment about NJ politics, and on that topic the more outrageous the claim the more likely it is to be true.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I didn't doubt that he said it, just thought it was interesting that Winter was saying something different about the Asbury Park situation.

I think the big thing is that NJ no longer offers the big tax credit for shooting there. I could see how maybe in Scorsese's mind that's telling the show they don't want it.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are a variety of reasons why it didn't work out. The interpretation probably varies depending on who's telling it.

10. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Got to applaud the show's passion for accuracy: The referee of the midget boxing match was Randy Neumann, a former NJ heavyweight who went on to become a referee after hanging up his gloves.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

As a proud son of NJ, I find it impossible to believe Atlatic City ever looked that clean.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Was away earlier in the week, so I just watched it On Demand.

Loved it, even if pacing was a little slow at first.

Draft saved Draft deleted