1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO's Boardwalk Empire

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Never did I think I'd used the words "Steve Buscemi" and "must see sex scene" in the same sentence ... but dang. I do love HBO.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Screaming? Eddie we were fucking!"

3. Shoeless Joe

How many of the actors on here are HBO series retreads:
    (I'll use character names because I don't know all their real ones)
    Nucky and Torrio were both on Sopranos
    Al Capone was on Band of Brothers
    the black guy was on the Wire, I think
    Nucky's wife (the photo) was on Deadwood

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Own it, and enjoyed it, a good deal . . . though the best, most thorough Rothstein bio remains Pietrusza's (though his fabricated quotes can be a little too precious for words . . . )

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"Retread" is kind of a pejorative term, but yeah, there are a few crossovers. In that interview I posted the link for, Winter talks about specifically guarding against including too many Sopranos alums in the show.

6. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

The "black guy" was one of the greatest characters in the history of television.

Omar comin'

7. Shoeless Joe

I never did really get into The Wire. It must have been in my pre-HBO days or something. I'm not sure why I never saw it.

8. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Steve Buscemi had rather prolific film career way before he ever joined the Sopranos.

9. Shoeless Joe

Ya think?
    I was just making a point that he was in/directed episodes of The Sopranos.
    He actually had a career as a fireman in NYC before becoming an actor, too, but I didn't mention that either.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It seems like once you are "in" with HBO you can get a lot of work. Almost every HBO show has at least a few people that have been on other HBO shows.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That's usually because they're damn fine actors.

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I read that they fictionalized the characters because they didn't want this to be like Deadwood - where people knew what was going to happen (and could also fact-check, so to speak, how the series played out).

Draft saved Draft deleted