1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO's Boardwalk Empire

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Anybody else watch the premiere?

I'm still digesting it, but I have to say I think it's going to be great. I was all fired up about "Treme" and "The Pacific," but I had to talk myself into liking them at first.

Not so with "Boardwalk Empire." Has a chance to be the best HBO series since "The Wire" went off the air ...

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have it on my DVR. I'll catch it tomorrow after work. Psyched.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was quite good. I'll definitely keep watching.

Was I the only one thinking there were sly homages there to the Russians episode of The Sopranos as well as Buscemi's sex scene in Fargo?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I definitely picked up on Pine Barrens. Missed the Fargo one.

I am usually not much of one to notice costumes and sets as a make-or-break thing, but their re-creation of the period is incredible. Maybe the "Mad Men" influence, that it just has to feel real nowadays.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Loved it. Big time.

So hard to watch network TV after watching shit like that.

Buscemi looks like a fucking corpse, though.

6. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Watched it. Kept me interested. Good pacing. I'm interested to come back and watch the second episode, which was not the case for me with Treme or Pacific.

One thing I wasn't sure of, is this show intended to be a biopic or is it largely fictionalized while using several real-life figures?

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Coupla notes:

The book upon which this was based was sloppily-put-together, at best. Just another piece
    which needed an editor in the worst way, when many houses are just too f'n cheap to do things
    the proper manner.

And Buscemi needs to show me he can carry a series on his own shoulders. And I don't care how
    many of the critics are simply swooning, from the get-go.

Just show me you deserve better than the wood-chipper, guy.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It was alright. I'll watch it next week.
    The latter.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Definitely fictionalized. Nucky Johnson (not Thompson) was a much bigger man than Steve Buscemi.

I actually thought the pacing was slow for the episode, but I assume that is because it takes time to introduce and develop characters. It was a good start. Obvious a lot of money went into it.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We were talking about that last night. This thing must cost a fortune to produce.
    'Rome' has been my favorite HBO series, and it got derailed after two years because of exorbitant costs.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I need to buy the Rome DVDs. I've been sleeping on that show, I think.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I loved it.
    The only real knock I think I have is I thought the opening credit scene wasn't heavy enough. After last night's, I probably won't be paying attention to that any longer, so I guess I don't have anything negative to say.

Sunday night at 9 p.m. is the only real reason we keep HBO, and I don't see that changing. The Sopranos, Rome, Carnivale, True Blood, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Six Feet Under ... their series blow everything else out of the water, and I don't see this being any different.

Draft saved Draft deleted