1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO-Worth It?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Italian_Stallion, May 5, 2008.

1. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

As a child of the '80s, I remember how wonderful HBO was. In fact, I recall it before the arrival of Cinemax and Showtime. I loved Fraggle Rock and Not Necessarily the News. Through the years, though, I've never been a big HBO person. I can get the movies through other channels. Of course, HBO has a long tradition of launching acclaimed series. I've missed the Sopranos boat, The Wire, etc. I'd like to check out such shows, and I just saw that David Cross and Bob Odenkirk are going to have a new sitcom on HBO.

So, I checked the prices. It's $12 a month for one premium channel. Is it worth paying $150 a year? Or should I just watch each series on DVD, which I could do with a one-month Netflix subscription?

2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I added a block of HBO channels (six I think) to my Dish Network for $15 a month. I got because of the original programming, which is great. But I was getting sick and tired by the some old slate of movies that seemed to show up every night when I have time to watch TV. I considered canceling it, but decided to take a few moments each night to see what was showing overnight and during the day when I'm at work, and programming the DVR to record. It's been better since.

But as for your question, if you have the patience to wait for the original programming to hit DVD, then go with a netflix membership.

3. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

I'm glad I have my HBO subscription. Three reasons - 1.) It decreases my time at the movie theater (and thus I avoid annoying teenagers), 2.) I love their sports documentaries and still enjoy "Real Sports" and 3.) I love boxing (and please avoid cliches about the heavyweight division sucking. Blah, blah, blah. I know. I watch the lighter weights, and I have no complaints).

4. Sopranos. Gone.
    The Wire. Gone.
    Their NFL show. Gone.

The only thing to look forward to was one new movie every Saturday night. And half the time it was something like Norbit.

5. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

Although none are currently showing new episodes, I watch at least three of HBO's original series. And in one month I watch about 4-5 new releases or movies I've never seen before (and that doesn't count flipping channels and landing on an oldie but a goodie. Caddyshack anyone? I was a video store junkie pre-HBO, so right there, with DVDs at 4-5 bucks a pop, I'm actually breaking even or a little bit ahead. And throw in the documentaries and Real Sports.

So, yeah, for me at least, it's worth it. Plus I like the flexibility of HBO OnDemand.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Not everyone gets OnDemand through their cable companies. Just something to remember.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Try HBO onDemand if your cable provider offers it.

You get all the typical offerings -- series, specials, movies -- but can watch them at your convenience, obviously.

It's hit or miss as to the stuff that's offered from month to month, but for $5 (that's what I pay, anyway), I'd say it's worth it.

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Definitely...there are tons of quality gems on HBO OnDemand's movie section. The Squid and the Whale, Best in Show, Brothers McMullen, Fight Club, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and The Departed are some of the films I've seen in recent months. I love how you can watch at your own convenience.

If you have kids...Starz is perfect. Tons of Pixar films offered right now, including the awesome Ratatouille and a wicked insightful documentary about John Lasseter, Steve Jobs, and the rest of the Pixar crew.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Just watched Fight Club the other night, as a matter of fact.

One other cool part is how they break down Real Sports every month into segments. Don't want to watch the 12-minute piece on the WNBA? Cool. Just pick the parts you DO want to watch and jump right in.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Where did you see that? Mr. Show was/is fucking brilliance.

11. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

http://www.bobanddavid.com/

I can't WAIT to see it.
    I'd say subscribing to HBO is worth it just to watch Bob and David together again uncensored.

12. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

http://www.vanityfair.com/ontheweb/blogs/daily/2008/04/david-cross-and.html

Draft saved Draft deleted