1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO To Air Documentary On Ted Williams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Jul 20, 2009.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

After the famed slugger's death seven years ago, and all the family in-fighting that took place following that, Williams' daughter will be interviewed for an HBO documentary about her father.

I'd like to see it and hear what she had to say. The in-fighting between her and her brother after Ted's death didn't help their situation, but I would still like to hear what she has to say.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/15/sports/baseball/15sandomir.html?ref=television

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hasn't this already been airing? I thought I saw something about Ted Williams on HBO recently, but I didn't get a chance to watch it yet.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes. it debuted last monday night, i believe, the eve prior to the all-star game.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Saw it. Williams' daughter (Claudia?) comes off as warm and endearing about her father for most of the film, but then turns ice cold when the whole "frozen head" subject comes up. She flatly refuses to talk about it, even though the other two principals --- her father and brother --- are dead.

One other thing that struck was how Ted was less than gung-ho about his military service. I'd always assumed he was at the front of the line to enlist after Pearl Harbor like Feller and others were, but it seems he enlisted for WWII very reluctantly. That said, his service with distinction in Korea cannot be disputed.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Saw it. Was very good. Ted Williams is the only guy I ever heard of who went from being roasted to becoming a popcicle while he was dead.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten that John Henry had died less than two years after Ted.

Draft saved Draft deleted