1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO Real Sports 4/15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GBNF, Apr 17, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

An absolutely brilliant edition of Real Sports this weeks.

Story by Gumbel on Obama's passion for basketball only reinforced my opinion on the (hopefully) future president.

But the segment on Mike Coolbaugh is remarkable. They play the message from when Coolbaugh gets called up.Unreal.

Enjoy.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I caught the tail end of the Coolbaugh piece. Must see it in its entirety.

The pieces on Torii Hunter as well as the pro basketball player who turned his life around after serving 15 to life were excellent as well. I never knew Hunter was arrested b/c his dad left drugs in his car when he was a teenager.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

There's a point in the Coolbaugh piece when Tino Sanchez just breaks down, and it is some of the most powerful television I've ever watched.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Listen.... a little like Mizz roots against Tiger in every tournament, that's how I feel about the GumBall. Hate the bastard.

But that show, by far, is the best sports magazine show ever put on the screen.

In the overall, right up there with 60 Minutes in its heyday.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have always felt that you can tell everything about a person by playing basketball with them.

How much do they shoot?
    Do they set screens?
    Do they rebound?
    Do they box out?
    Do they help on defense?
    How fast do they get down on defense?
    Does their man beat them down the floor?
    Do they make the extra pass?
    How do they react when they miss or make a bad play?
    Do they play hard when they are losing or winning?

Not many sports show a lack of effort like basketball. If one player is not doing their job, the other four suffer greatly.

Jones, if you are reading this, forget McCain, you have to get into this pickup game.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Golf is my game for unpeeling the onion.

Organization.... honesty... planning.... alacrity/languidity... accountability... manners... not to mention the conversations and their revelatory value.

7. 93Devil

Good point, but basketball makes you physically tired, so you are pushing that aside as well to keep your moral standards.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

That and golf is boring as shit.

9. There's one no-look that had me go, "Hmmm."
    Also, love how he rips the other team for not playing D.

10. LBSE

LBSE New Member

Re: HBO Real Sports 4/15--Coolbaugh update

Here is the latest on the Coolbaugh family: http://rrleader.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=2&ArticleID=18575&TM=41328.9

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

12. 93Devil

That game was a joke.

I'm sure Obama was hoping for somthing a little better. A few guys who were out there probably had not played basketball in decades, if ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted