1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO Go thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Had HBO Go when we had HBO with DirecTv

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Some providers don't allow it on certain devices, which may be one of the issues. I know I was excited when it came out on the PS3 but Comcast never has given in and supported it on that platform, yet I can get it on my tablet. I've never figured out why considering people pay for it and they allow it on other platforms. Maybe they don't want the mobile service on actual TVs or other "set top boxes"?

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Devices such as a Roku are cheap enough and run enough other apps such as YouTube, it's probably worth getting if you want to watch HBO Go on a big screen.

4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Right but getting HBO Now to the TV is not as clean as you think. It all depends
    on the cable provider / TV type.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Fair enough. But there are lots of ways around your cable provider (Apple TV, Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick, etc.). Most modern TVs are equipped to handle one of these modes of streaming well. Unless the TV is more than 8-10 years old, it shouldn't be a problem. Even my crappy old TV in my bedroom can do it if I hook up our Xbox to it.

6. No. I do NOT have cable. No provider.
    I have a PS3 and a Smart TV.
    The HBO - as I read it - is telling me I need a provider to share the app with my TV.

I have a Firestick and could have purchased HBO subscription through our Amazon account and watched it on TV.
    I didn't. I bought it through the Apple App - on my iPad - and have been watching on the small screen all evening.

Long story short ... I think I'm stuck watching GOT on my iPad, because I bought the app through Apple and don't have cable.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Though that may just be geared to iOS devices.

9. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

HBO Now app is free. Once you get app you sign up for subscription at cost of $14.50 monthly. Typically new subscribers get a month free. Fee is month to month month and easy to cancel. I'll renew when Curb comes on and then probably cancel once over

10. Right now, I am watching GOT season 6 for free. Then I'm going to cancel.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So we rented a cabin this past weekend and the cable didn't come with HBO. However, they had Roku, which included HBO Now. I'm an HBO subscriber via FIOS, which means I use HBO Go when I'm not at home. So I was screwed if I wanted to watch on the TV. We watched on the iPad, which was fine, but I'd much rather watch on the big screen.

Roku should have HBO Go and Now. Lame.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Roku has HBO Go.

Draft saved Draft deleted