1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hazing: worse in prison than in fraternities

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, May 22, 2009.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

4 fraternity geeks arrested for role in alcohol related death of pledge:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/ap_on_re_us/us_fraternity_death

It's about time. This kind of stuff can't be tolerated. penalty should be a bit harsher, though--1 and 3 years isn't much for what is essentially manslaughter.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The national fraternal organization should receive some sort of sanction as well.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Every time I see a story like this I think, "Do they still have fraternities?"

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Call them frats, JR. I always do.

During my own college days, a frat boy heard me do it and insisted that they had to be called fraternities. His argument? And I quote, "Would you call a country a c-nt?"

Never mind that frat has no meaning other than fraternity and c-nt does, but yes, I would, if I had as little respect for some country as I do for most fraternities. (Cue some member of Alpha-Sigma-whatever informing us of all the wonderful charity work his beloved brotherood has engaged in over the years). Sorry, a bunch of guys who pay to hang out and drink together doesn't quite deserve the same respect as a nation.

Truth is, I just find the whole thing silly most of the time. But there are incidents like this, and some I know of that are worse, that are troubling. I know college students will do stupid shit with or without the Greek system. Sometimes I just wonder if it would happen a little less without them.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

"They can't do that to our pledges."

"Yeah ... only we can do that to our pledges."

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would have responded:

"No, I wouldn't. I'd call you a c-nt, though."

Draft saved Draft deleted