1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hazing, out in the open?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Seahawk, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

If this was brought up elsewhere, my apologies.

I realize hazing happens at just about every NFL preseason camp, but should I be surprised that the Tennessee Titans did this stuff in full view of the media? I've covered camps where rookies showed up one day with awful haircuts and stuff like that, but it wasn't done for the cameras.

With hazing being a fairly major issue these days, particularly at the high school and college levels, I'm surprised an NFL team would do this kind of stuff so openly. What is pictured here seems like it was done in fun, but it still seems to be in poor taste.
  2. It has been done before in front of the cameras for a while.
    I recall one - maybe the Steelers? - where a high draft receiver (Plax?, Holmes?) was taped to a goal post and doused with powder.
    I've seen other Titans hazing footage as well.

I always thought this subject would be a great investigative story for someone.
    We had a kid who latched with an NFL team but was injured due to a hazing incident. The kid was cut - but not before getting a settlement from the team. The settlement reportedly, had a nondisclosure contract.He tried to get back into the NFL, making a few preseason camps, but he never made the cut.
    I'll bet he wasn't the only one who was ever injured during a NFL hazing incident.
  3. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

As I think about it, I thought the Saints had a pretty major hazing incident involving a gauntlet of sorts in which rookies were hit with numerous things, such as socks filled with coins. Some guys were injured there, and some veterans were cut in part due to their involvement.

Because it can escalate (which it often does with younger groups of athletes), I guess it just surprises me that it is still largely laughed off. Maybe I am naive.
  4. No, you're not the only one surprised this still goes on and appears to be tolerated.
  5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm probably late on this, but: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=wilsonhigh

High school hazing incident that turned sexually abusive.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As the father of two young boys my heart nearly burst thinking about that. What courage by the boy who came back to play.

Its so sad that you can never return a boy's (or girl's) childhood.

As for the coaches, I find it hard to believe they did not hear something and did not know what was going on.

Road trips (wrestling, football, etc.) were some of my fondest school memories because you got to bond together. My coaches could hear what was going on.
  7. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Had not read that story, BBAM. The type of things that happen can be quite disturbing, and it is hardly a "boys will be boys" thing. It happens with female athletes as well, and they can be 10 times more vicious.

I have to agree with qt. I am amazed that the kid was mentally able to return to the jv team.
  8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Remember the story where go-go boots stopped a bullet?

One good thing about hazing, I suppose.

Good grief. Since when did MLB turn into the Pan-Hellenic Council? ::) When I pledged a fraternity eons ago, we did stuff that was fun that today would get the Exorbitant Potentate (secret frat word for our chapter prez, right, Ryan_S?) arrested.

I do agree that hazing in some high schools (and certainly moreso in junior highs) is worse in many cases.
  9. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Active Member

Yeah, that was Cam Cleeland. He had his head busted open because some of the players put coins in the socks they were using to hit him as he ran through "the gauntlet."
  10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Baseball teams have been stealing rookies' clothes out of their lockers and substituting either women's clothing or ridiculous costumes. It always happens on getaway day.

Then they make them get off the bus a few blocks from the hotel and walk through the streets and the hotel lobby in the get-ups.

It usually gets mentioned in the papers and I can remember an instance where some video of it got on the team's TV broadcast.

People act like it's some sort of tradition, but I can't remember anything like that in the '70s or '80s. In fact, there was a time when veterans went out of their way to show rookies the ropes as far as tipping and all the off-field stuff that goes into being a player (like don't bring your wife/girlfriend to the bar where the players hang out).

It's all pretty stupid, but that's sports.
  11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's a scary tale. I went to high school with a kid who was involved in hazing on a college lacrosse team that included sodomy. He, I believed, was charged with some form of that. A proud day, I'm sure.
  12. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Active Member

Ugh I hated reading that story.

I was hazed my freshman year at football camp, nothing near as serious as that. But I did have a teammate who had a broomstick shoved up his anus, then some fucking idiot decides to jerk the broom sideways, causing it to break. That guy had to be rushed to the hospital and spent a week there with serious internal injuries. He quit football, never to play again. The senior who did it had to run up-downs. Big whoop.

That was the last summer our football team did camp. That was also the last year hazing was allowed, thank God.

Hazing is still very much a big part of high school and college athletics. I think a lot of coaches turn a blind eye to it until something serious happens at their school.
Draft saved Draft deleted