1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hazelton, Pa. Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Harry Lime, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Harry Lime

Harry Lime New Member

Does anyone know anything about this place and/or job?

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=951680

I'm looking for management experience!

2. expectingrain

expectingrain New Member

I'm pretty sure that you have to hate Mexicans in order to live in Hazleton. If you don't, there are some nice towns within commuting distance.

Seriously though, Standard Speaker is part of Times Shamrock. The Lynett family owns papers in Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. I don't know much about the Hazleton operation. CV Managing Editor Larry Holeva apparently runs the Hazleton paper too these days. He used to be a sports reporter in Scranton. The CV is leaps and bounds above what it was since he took over in 2004.

I do know that almost everyone who works in newspapers in Northeaster PA is bitter and miserable (with good reason). There's lots more turnover than you'd expect. And very few people leave on good terms. Check out http://nepamedia.blogspot.com/ if you want to get an idea of what the atmosphere is like up that way.

Happiest day of my life was when I put NEPA in my rearview mirror.

Hazleton, like almost all of NEPA is a pit. On the upside, you will get to live side by side with third generation Eastern European immigrants still carrying on blood feuds from the old country. And if you like pizza (real pizza, not the shit they claim is the World's Best Pizza in Old Forge), there's at least three pizza places for every resident. So its got that going for it. No idea what pay would be.

3. Keystone

Keystone Member

The Speaker has gone through some sports editors in the past few years, though one of them had to resign because of health reasons. (Babe Conroy, who is a class act.)

Rumor has it that the Speaker is slowly being squeezed out by T-S and will eventually become a bureau between the CV and Pottsville.

That being said, the staffers there are great guys who have deep roots in the community. Hazleton High is one of the largest in the state and is a power in both football and basketball. There are about a half-dozen other high schools in the paper's circulation area, but they all overlap with the CV and Pottsville. Expect to spend a lot of time on the phone with your counterpart SEs from those papers, coordinating coverage.

Preps and youth sports are about it. Penn State also has a branch campus with a limited amount of sports.

Pocono Speedway is also in your backyard, but you won't cover any races there. T-S imports the writers from Scranton to handle all that. (Funny story. After qualifying for Pocono 2 last year, Dale Earnhardt Jr. was asked a question from a Times-Tribune reporter. When the scribe said that he was from Scranton before asking the question, Junior said that "The Office" was one of his favorite shows, but he thought Scranton was in Ohio. He seemed amazed that he was only a half-hour away from Dunder-Mifflin. ;D )

Also, you haven't been fully initiated to Hazleton until you read Ray Saul's column. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted