1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hayden Fox - Coach

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jeff_Rake, Oct 3, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I dunno. There was the one where Luther and Dauber lived in the same apartment building and got into an ongoing food fight.
    Or any one with Judy Watkins.
    Or the one where he found out he schtumped the new college president.
    Or the one where Hayden speaks at the Order of the Loon
    Or the one where Howard's wife Shirley comes to work in the athletic department as his temporary secretary and drives him crazy.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Is it wrong that I had a crush on Judy Wadkins?

3. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

:-X

The episode where they fucked up Christine's apartment was good. Luther poured grape juice on nice white carpet and tried to hide it by sitting on it only to have it all over his ass. Then Dauber set Christine's oven on fire so they tried to hide that by buying Christine's neighbor's oven and switching them.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A trip down memory lane....

http://www.tv.com/coach/show/507/episode_guide.html

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

LMFAO! Only a WVU fan, Marshall fan, or Pitt fan that occasionally reads WVU message boards would get that joke.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I loved this show when I was younger. Even my mom loved it.

The grape juice on the carpet show was classic. I don't remember any of the ones after they won the national championship.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Watched religiously when it was on the air. TiVo'd it for a while, too.

Funniest episode: The one where Luther booked the train. When Hayden tossed Luther's suitcase out the window, I was in tears.

The best group of episodes were the ones featuring Stewart, Kelly's girly boyfriend. Hayden's treatment of that poor guy was some of the funniest stuff you'll see.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Uh, don't forget one more little tidbit about Fabares: she was daughter Mary Stone on "The Donna Reed Show." Ah, those were the days of when Nick-at-Nite started off the ground.

Clare Carey was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy on the eyes. I felt sorry for Stuart (correct name), since Hayden would fuck with him to no mercy everytime. The Judy Watkins/Hayden zingers were classic because anytime Hayden would get the last word in, Judy's face goes into nuclear mode and she bolts out the door.

Athletic Director Howard and wife Shirley Burleigh were hysterical. Howard always cowed to everything that the football team needed and Shirley (Georgia Engel is absolutely great in anything she does) just annoyed the shit out of Hayden.

The two episodes I remember was (1) when Dauber and Kelly slept together, after Dauber and Judy broke up, and Hayden walked in by accident on the both of them dressing. The second one was when Luther got into trouble with his gambling.

There were too many funny moments in that show, all because of Dauber and Luther.

Would you believe the show lasted exactly 200 episodes??

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I remember the first time Hayden met Stuart and called him "Stu." I thought Hayden was gonna shit when Stuart explained that he didn't like being called "Stu" because that took the "art" out of his name.

What Kelly was doing with a dork like him in the first place was never explained, as far as I know.

I like that my kids watch "SpongeBob SquarePants" because I can hear Dauber's (Bill Fagerbaake's) voice every day and reminisce about "Coach." Good times. :)

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I would see the show off and on. Never really disappointed.

One I remember was in the later days of the series. Right before a bowl game, Dauber lost his playbook at the airport and didn't want to tell Coach Fox. Later in their hotel suite, Fox decides to talk strategy with the assistants, with his back to the TV and the sound off. Dauber and Luther can see what's on TV: A local sports talk show in which the hosts have the lost playbook and are telling everyone what's in the Minnesota State game plan.

I also liked the back-and-forth with coaches Fox and Watkins. Watkins was played by Pam Stone, who was a pretty good stand-up comic. Saw her a couple of times on the "Evening at the Improv" TV show. One memorable line was when she told the crowd she was engaged, and then showed them the ring saying, "You like this ring my fiance gave me? It was his grandmother's (pause). It took us six hours to dig up the bitch!"

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Shelly Fabares defined milf. Show was serviceable, had some funny moments and some excrutiatingly bad ones. Last couple of seasons were almost unwatchable.

12. Shelley peaked on The Donna Reed Show.

Draft saved Draft deleted