1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hawks' Williams carjacked on way to game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

From the AP:

ATLANTA (AP) — Atlanta forward Shelden Williams was carjacked at gunpoint Saturday before the Hawks’ game against Charlotte, and two suspects were arrested with his car hours later.
    Douglasville City Police said two suspects were arrested late Saturday afternoon at Arbor Place Mall in Douglas County, near Atlanta. The suspects were in Williams’ car and were attempting a robbery, according to an officer who answered the phone at the Douglasville Police Department.
    The officer, who declined to give her name, said one suspect was taken to a hospital after suffering dog bites from the police canine unit during the arrest.
    Fulton County Police spokesman Gary Syblis said Williams was approached by two men outside a barber shop. One man pulled out a gun and demanded Williams’ keys to his 2008 Chrysler, according to Syblis.
    Hawks spokesman Arthur Triche says Williams provided police with the license plate number of the vehicle used by the carjackers, leading to a search that led to two suspects being arrested at a mall in Douglas County. Williams’ car was found at the scene.
    “I’m just glad that he’s safe,” Hawks coach Mike Woodson said.
    “Cars and things like that, jewelry, money, all that can be replaced.”
    Triche said the car was damaged when found.
    Williams reported to Philips Arena before the game but missed the team’s shootaround. He made his first appearance in the game against the Bobcats late in the third quarter.
    Williams told Woodson and other team officials about the incident when he reported for the game. He said the car was stolen outside a barber shop.
    Williams declined comment to The Associated Press but told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution “It’s been a long day, but I’m fine.”
    Syblis said Williams, a second-year player from Duke, did not identify himself as a player for the Hawks.
    Syblis says the incident occured outside a barber shop on Cascade Road in Atlanta.
    The incident is only the latest in a series of attacks on professional athletes. Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor was shot and killed at his home in what is believed to have been a botched burglary.
    Earlier this month, Indiana Pacers guard Jamaal Tinsley and his entourage were shot at in a parking lot outside a five-star hotel in Indianapolis.

Glad he made it OK. You can't wish this on anybody.

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Wow. Another fucked up situation for a professional athlete, and one who was extremely cordial and well-meaning during his college days.
    How long until professional athletes form barricaded villages and bring in barbers, groceries, women, etc...?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The terrible thing is, even though he's OK, that situation will stick with Williams for a long while.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Did anyone else read this thread title as "Hank Williams carjacked on way to game"?

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Indeed I did. I was all sorts of confused.

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Are you ready for some carjacking? A Saturday night party!!!!

8. KG

KG Active Member

I did too.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Dammit, now I'm doing it too and I'm the one who started the thread. Thanks guys.

10. lono

lono Active Member

Per Dave Alvin's song, had it been Hank Williams's car, the stolen vehicle in question would have be a Long White Cadillac, not a 2008 Chrysler.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

It's all his fault.

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Spare us the usual sarcasm, Chuck. Nobody's saying it's his fault, and clearly it's not.

Draft saved Draft deleted