1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hawks-Thrashers owner takes AJC to ask

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, May 18, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Bruce Levenson does so in this piece. He makes a number of interesting points on the paper itself, what's fair game and the use of resources in these times. Worth a look, whether you agree with his points or not:

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/62538

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Durn, I was just about to post this.

3. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Which brings to me the point I was trying to make in my other thread:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/69896/

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Great column by Levenson.

Resource-strapped, the newspaper has stopped sending beat reporters to cover some away games of the city’s professional sports teams. Most importantly, the AJC has announced large numbers of layoffs in its newsroom that will leave it a mere shell of its former self, severely limiting its ability to cover the people, institutions and events that impact Atlantans’ lives.

Yet, from the IT department, to former sports editor Ron Ramos to Swartz, the AJC squandered precious dwindling resources chasing a meaningless dead-end story; one it sought to manufacture from one of a thousand sentences Whammer wrote in an e-mail the AJC should never have traced.

In these tough times, there is a premium on good judgment.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm sure it took less than an hour for IT to track down the network "Whammer" posted from.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Still a fricking waste of time.

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Sue, for the love of God, sue. There are cases to be made off those damn things and I await the day one is brought to court with anticipation so great it almost pains me.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

There's precedent that suggests that it wouldn't do much good -- and it's complicated by the fact that this guy is surely a public figure.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It took people this long to realize story chatters are nuts.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm not sure a higher-up in the FUBAR organization that is Atlanta Spirit has the standing to lecture anyone on good judgment.

Also, I think he's peeved that the AJC spent time on this story instead of covering his teams, like the hockey team few care about.

This wild goose chase wasn't wild or goosy as Levenson makes it out to be. He admits that while "Whammer" isn't him, it could be someone in his organization. If the owner of a local team is sending pseudonymous emails criticizing coverage, that is news. Swartz checked it out, thought it might be him, but I don't see anywhere where she ran ahead with a story saying Levenson was Whammer.

Sorry, but I find it hard to see this piece as anything other than a self-serving ride on the whambulance for an owner of a screwed-up organization that has trouble attracting fans and making money, with or without the paper's help.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

AJC looks just silly here. Forget about their actions in any context related to not staffing road games, it's just strange to a GM and accuse him of making the comments -- did you really think he'd admit to it even if it were true? Then, to ask him to help you identify the commenter and stop them, it's just awkwardly wrong.

Signed,

Anonymous Poster

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Turn off your comments function then.

Looks like the AJC's feelings were hurt at taking criticism. Poor babies. Grow a pair.

Draft saved Draft deleted