1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hawks owner will sell team after racist e-mail surfaces

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Gotta give Georon credit for blowing the thing up. Don't see how Ferry
    can keep his job.

A fine example of how the elitist privileged graduates of Duke think.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, he doesn't like fellow Duke player "with a little African in him, but not in a bad way."

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

qtlaw - did we not have a 25 page thread discussing why blacks are disproportionally poor in this country? *You* participated in that thread.

Nobody every challenged the notion that blacks have less money (the thread discussed the possible reasons).

Yet when this guy writes it, it becomes 'a stereotype'. It wasn't a stereotype in the 25 pages of that thread.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

How fucking dumb do you have to be to say shit like that on a business call?

5. poindexter

I'm not going to spend a lot of time defending Mark 2010. But when the perpetually offended crowd goes into their "That's racist!", or their more subtle cousin "That's a stereotype" mode, I'm going to point it out. Dick Whitman spent 17 pages digging to find out *why* blacks are poorer. Nobody accused him of perpetuating a stereotype.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was confirming the race neutral points; appeal to more affluent market; why spend more $$ on less appealing product; ah but when you then plug in the racial stereotype that blacks spend less $$ than whites at the game, well that's where the stereotyping comes in.

When I participated in the thread about blacks being less fortunate; that's the whole black demographic; the blacks going to the Atlanta Hawks games is not the whole demographic; who can afford to go to the game? Do they per capita spend less than whites? That's the key question; and probably not because they are paying the same $$ for the same tickets.

8. poindexter

That's the key question; and probably not because they are paying the same $$ for the same tickets.

I believe the article (or another) mentioned that a certain number of tickets go to the economically disadvantaged. It may skew the per capita spending down.

9. Boom_70

Wally Backman has a little "red" in him

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Good stuff from Woj here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/an-exclusive-look-at-hawks-gm-danny-ferry-s-fateful-phone-call-180253404.html

Everybody looks bad. As I suspected, the battles between the owners in Atlanta Spirit have a lot more to do with the Levenson/Ferry reveal than a search for racial justice.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Read that; yep no heroes there. Ferry really looks bad. As with everything, there's nuance; Ferry was supposedly Deng's biggest backer yet stereotyped as well.

12. Boom_70

Good take on Danny Ferry by Raptors GM Masai Ujiri.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/basketball/masai-ujiri-weighs-in-on-the-danny-ferry-controversy/article20558085/

Not sure how Ferry is still employed.

Draft saved Draft deleted