1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hawks owner will sell team after racist e-mail surfaces

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 7, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bruce Levenson wrote the email in 2012, and he announced intention to sell after a meeting with Silver. The whole thing isn't out there yet, but Woj says details of apology email include:

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA · 11m
    Levenson released statement, outlining details of 2012 email and an apology. "I trivialized our fans by making cliched assumptions…"

Levenson (cont) "…about their interests (i.e. hip hop vs country, white vs. black cheerleaders, etc.) and stereotyping their perceptions…"

Levenson (cont) "…of one another (i.e. white fans might be afraid of our black fans…If you're angry about what I wrote, you should be."

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

Forbes says Hawks are worth $316 million. Guessing they go for twice that.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Racism pays.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Email is here:

http://deadspin.com/heres-the-email-that-forced-hawks-owner-barry-levenson-1631640411

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, everyone continued to work for Sterling because they "didn't know" he was racist.

This email was sent to Danny Ferry and two others.

What do we think of their decision to continue to work for a racist, and not resign, or expose him as a racist?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

i never felt uncomfortable, but i think southern whites simply were not comfortable being in an arena or at a bar where they were in the minority.

And yet:

i have also balked when every fan picked out of crowd to shoot shots in some time out contest is black. I have even bitched that the kiss cam is too black.

It's gold, Jerry!

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This racist is racist against white people.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Call me cynical, but I also wonder if Levenson, who has tried to sell the Hawks for years, saw what happened with Donald Sterling and figured, hell, I can become a racist billionaire, too!

http://m.thenation.com/blog/181516-out-executing-nba-game-plan-atlanta-hawks-and-levenson-e-mail

Interestingly, one defender of the email is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Then again, he's appearing in a Wisconsin tourism commercial in which he sports a Bucks uniform and wonders why he ever left (uh, because he thought Milwaukee was full of racist hilljacks?), so maybe he's re-evaluating his whole value system.

http://time.com/3296175/bruce-levenson-atlanta-hawks-racist-email-kareem-abdul-jabbar/

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I had the same thought, but why put the racist stuff out there? Can't he just sell the team?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Southern man better keep your head

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Was this being covered anywhere?

I wonder if he's looking for a bidding war so someone can buy the team and move it to Seattle.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

After reading the email, I think the NBA would have had a hard time making a big deal out of it.

It strikes me as more blunt and politically incorrect than racist. Many of the complaints he made are valid, but obviously in a market like Atlanta, it might cause more of a reaction than in other places. Obviously, he chose he words very poorly.

I think he saw an excuse to get out and make a truckload of money while doing it.

Very strange.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

"Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
    a southern man don't need him around anyhow"

Draft saved Draft deleted