1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hawk Harrelson in the NYT: Sabermetrics 'the biggest joke I've ever seen'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/30/sports/baseball/for-baseball-broadcaster-numbers-arent-the-story.html?ref=todayspaper

(S)aid Jonah Keri, the author of “The Extra 2%,” a book about how the Tampa Bay Rays have utilized Wall Street strategies in remaining competitive with a restricted payroll, “you can love the aesthetic of the game, but if you say sabermetrics are useless and they ruin baseball, then you’re doing a disservice to your viewers.”

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The more Hawk Harrelson positions himself as the grump old man in this conversation, the more attention he gets.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hawk apparently doesn't own a mirror.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yep. There are enough people who fall in behind him that he doesn't need to worry about who doesn't.

Of note: went to the A's game Saturday afternoon. Packed house, great day, they're awesome. Every batter who came to the plate, they showed his BA/HR/RBI. Not once did I see OPS or anything along those lines. The vast majority of baseball watchers remain part of the old-fashioned crowd.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Red Sox scoreboard has showed OBP for years now, and shows OPS, too. Maybe Oakland is just too threadbare to reprogram the scoreboard.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That could be. I did pee in a urinal trough too. Thankfully, nobody caused a sewage backup.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if the newer stats offer the casual fan that much of an information upgrade on the traditional stats (at least for batting, I think the pitching ones are a big improvement), but the idea they're too complicated is ridiculous. It's the same as always. For batters, the higher the number the better.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hawk Harrelson wants to die doing what he loves.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hard to find fault with what Tampa has done but wonder if their Wall St Strategies are really sabremetrics or just good financial decisions.

Their formula for success is valuing players on a mark to market basis just like
    Wall St does in valuing investments. I once heard Stew Sturmberg say that The
    Rays had a payroll of 35 Mil but on a real value player basis it would be more like
    $95 mil.

Either way that's a smart group of people running that franchise.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I am very curious to see what Tampa does with David Price. He is signed to a one-year, $10M deal, but is not a free agent until 2015.

If they can keep him signed to a below-market deal, that will be truly impressive.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If they don't sign him that tells you something also.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There is roughly a 1% chance he's a Ray by the end of his arbitration years. He's going, and probably this offseason.

Draft saved Draft deleted