1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hawaii AD: "Very real" possibility the football program shuts down.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Aug 20, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I had no idea Wembley was so small. That's not where they've played the last few games there is it?

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

It's Wiki, yeah, but it looks like they took it from the stadium's website. Holds 86,000 for American football. I don't know where the British guy got his number, but I stumbled over that and knew it couldn't be right. Wimbledon holds more than 12,000.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm an idiot. Wembley Arena holds 12,000. The stadium holds a lot more.

According to wiki, attendance for the two international games has held steady at slightly above 80,000 for the last few years. Would they be able to maintain that?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Boost Anchorage up to I-A. Let the oil billionaires pay for it.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I didn't know how many seats Wembley Arena has, but I do know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Re: Vermont ... Norwich University has played football for years.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I was referring to state schools. Middlebury also has a team.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just for shits and giggles, looked up a couple of Alaska high schools on Maxpreps. They're in Week 2 of the prep season. Regular season ends in early October, and, I presume, state playoffs over by Halloween.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

There's this thing called winter up there.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

UNM will never let NMSU join the same conference.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Why is that? I'm genuinely curious, not being a dick.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wembley is the biggest stadium in Britain. But I'm not sure how that applies to Hawaii. It absolutely deserves a major D-I college team.

(The only thing I have to add is there was a possibility of Miami vs. Arkansas at 75K-capacity Old Trafford in 1990 and I was completely chuffed about it. But it never came to pass.)

Draft saved Draft deleted