1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hawaii AD: "Very real" possibility the football program shuts down.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/8/18/6043157/hawaii-football-program-budget-financial

Can't take the bus if you live in the islands.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Shut every one of them down, unless sustained without public moneys.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

For a guy who hates Magary for hating stuff, you sure hate a lot of stuff. ;)

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

It's not an inalienable right to have a Division I football program.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if this is just a gimmick to bring in more alumni donations. "We might have to cut the nursing program" draws in fewer donations than "We might have to cut football."

6. 3_Octave_Fart

Magary feigns hate because he's a whore and can't write anything straight.
    Mostly he just seems to hate himself.
    I hate college athletics- I would have thought events of three years ago would have taught us we don't need this around any more as a society.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you mean Sandusky.

If so, what's your position on the Catholic Church or, for that matter, any other organization hit by a sex scandal?

8. 3_Octave_Fart

You think NCAAF, speaking in isolation, has been besieged by just a single scandal?
    Tear down the entire rotten edifice.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Hawaii is in a tough spot. Travel is so expensive and they typically don't draw very well at home unless it's when a top team comes in.

I wonder if they could go independent and play more home games. Teams love using a game against Hawaii as a recruiting tool, so I don't think they'd have trouble finding games. They could be the exact opposite of one of the smaller programs who get their butts kicked by several programs to fund the program.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Top-25 level teams have become reluctant to travel to Hawaii because of repeated and blatant ass-fuckings by homer officiating crews, bordering on outright game-fixing.

I believe the Big Ten has an unwritten policy that conference teams are only allowed to play at Hawaii if they bring an all-B1G officiating crew.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Probably not a bad move. I doubt Hawaii would protest too much if it meant getting a top team like Ohio State or Michigan to come to Hawaii for a game.

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Could Hawaii go independent and play every game at home? Its men's basketball team only has two road OOC road games, and they're at Seattle and Salt Lake City. The women's team has a two-game swing through Colorado before conference.

Go indy, bring in a bunch of big teams and rake in the cash and stay home in the process.

Draft saved Draft deleted