1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hawaii AD fired after Jones leaves

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by You're With Me Leather, Jan 8, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

San Diego and Atlanta

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Jones was offered one of these gigs? He was canned in Atlanta and vacated San Diego before they hired Riley. Has he been offered of these jobs since he signed on in Honolulu?

3. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Jones had no NFL offers to be a head coach. He may have had a coordinator job

4. DanOregon

He was offered a contract to stay on at San Diego as head coach but went to Hawaii instead and he was rumored to have heard from other NFL teams since his return to Hawaii

5. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Having witnessed the Hawaii program under June Jones up close and personal, let me say that the atmosphere that he helped to create at the games in Hawaii was as bad as I have ever seen. Drunken boosters allowed to roam about the sidelines (coming within two yards of the visiting team) to yell and swear at the opponents, hometown referees who don't know how to call a fair game and an endless number of home games created by an NCAA rule that allows teams to go to Hawaii and play an additional game on their schedule and Hawaii couldn't help but succeed.

Let's see Jones do that at SMU where he has to play half his schedule on the road and won't get a break from officials.

6. DanOregon

I'm sure there were a lot fewer drunken boosters when the Warriors were on that 18-game losing streak. Give me a break. The guy was the most successful coach ever at that school. I actually bough a Hawaii hat after he changed the logo and uniforms.
    How much (positive) national attention did Hawaii get before he got there? How many Heisman finalists? I guess Hawaii fans will get their wish and go back to the old days, probably sooner than they wish to.

7. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Hawaii's atmosphere is pretty out there, but there are other places I'd fear before I go with Aloha Stadium. Plus, isn't that what home-field advantage is all about?

8. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Georgia was clearly the better team, faster, stronger and overwhelmed against Hawaii's offensive line. June was not the reason for that loss.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

And to add the post I made on the former thread, SMU has apparently loaded up the money people for a serious football run again. And if they have the money people, could the prostitutes named indirectly in the allegations be far behind?

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

If I say yes, will you leave this board and never come back?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Since the prostitutes in question would have to be in their late-40s to 50s by now, somehow I doubt June will be able to use that as a major recruiting advantage.

It's not that they didn't "know how to call a fair game." There were a good number of Hawaii games in recent years that were flat-out fixed.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You have evidence of this, no doubt.

Draft saved Draft deleted