1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hawaii AD fired after Jones leaves

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by You're With Me Leather, Jan 8, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Ad hoc-itry?

2. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Are you still fucking flogging the dead fucking horse?

Get a fuckin life.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That Advertiser column is pretty moronic for the most part.
    Yeah, while most of us were getting a little sick of the "old carpet in the coach's office" story, we also were able to understand that Hawaii's broke-as-a-joke football program was obviously not going anywhere. There are no donors, no apparent need to play big-time teams for a guarantee, nothing.
    So Jones left -- after NINE YEARS. It's not like he was there for a year or two. He made that program what it was. Now the Advertiser columnist wants to bash him for it?
    Please.
    Get a fucking clue. Maybe, look at the fact that he went to SMU (SMU?!?!) to get out of Hawaii.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Depends on where... Miami, LSU, MSU, Kent, Cleveland, or Bammer?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good Christ, can someone ship a plane full of tissues over to Hawaii?

This guy lost me, forever, right here:

THEY GOT THE FUCKING DEATH PENALTY!!!! Of course they're willing to bend the rules and their standards--academic and otherwise--Matrix-style! Jesus.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Jones could have left Hawaii for a pro job and more money, but he went to Hawaii and took them to a BCS game. I think everybody knew Jones was dissatisfied with the facilities, the scheduling and the lack of support he was getting from the administration. He turned that program around. They should be grateful. Wasn't his contract up anyway? It's their problem they didn't re-sign him.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

Why in the world would Hawaii pay a school like Charleston Southern twice in a four-year period. Who gives a shit if you can bring in your back-up QB and have him throw for 400 yards?
    I'd leave too.

9. BYH...I think you're confused about SMUs academic standards. SMU does not allow recruits to enroll at the minimum standards. In fact, they're standards would be closer to Ivy League schools if Ivy leaguers allowed athletic scholarships. From what I understand, an athlete must be in the top half of their high school graduating class and they're minimum SAT must be some 15% more than the NCAA minimum. I don't mention ACT because I don't think SMU admits anyone with ACT scores, but I certainly could be wrong. I think what the above is trying to say is that SMU doesn't take rehabed former thugs. Brennan and Bess certainly found a home at UH, the writer insists that they never could have played at SMU...it's hard to argue these points. What I think may have happened, is that SMU is finally coming back to the minimum standards in an effort to upgrade program which would upgrade the marketing of the brand (mentioned earlier on another post).

As for the breaking the rules cited an another post, please people, there are more rules broken at other schools in much more smarmy fashion than will be at SMU.

10. Because Charleston Southern was the only game they could get to fill in for overrated Michigan of the overrated Big 10, because the pussy Wolverines chose to withdraw from their commitment to Hawaii as they felt it better for their program to schedule Appalachian State. So, the better question, why would Michigan play App. State? Everyone UH they tried to get to fill that space was concerned about Hawaii's squad causing some bowl problems with a potential loss. Does that answer your question?

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

I really don't have a problem w/ playing a i-aa. But at least get one that's somewhat decent.

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

What pro job could Jones have had?

As for SMU's academics, the same departure that has led them to pay a football coach $2 million might be linked to a renewed institutional commitment to football.

Draft saved Draft deleted