1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hawaii AD fired after Jones leaves

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by You're With Me Leather, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Started new thread since Jones thread was locked.

Herman Frazier is out at Hawaii after June Jones leaves for SMU.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080107/BREAKING02/80107012/1314

2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Frazier was already on very thin ice before all this started.

Still, I think it's bad precedent to fire an AD for insufficient groveling.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's not bad precedent to fire an AD who lets a coach hang without a contract all while said coach is making your program millions of BCS dollars.

Inexcusable performance.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wikipedia changed it already

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wow ... bitter much?

If June Jones were merely looking to strike while the iron was hot, he could have done that in any of the last 4-5 years. Sure, those seasons weren't as successful as the one just completed but Jones had turned the program around long before.

It's bad that, according to the columnist, Hawaii's supporters know about commitment when the athletic department clearly does not.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Outing alert: June Jones is...

[​IMG]

I love...carpet. I love...desk. I love lamp.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's not a bad column. I probably would have stayed away from a "Lilo and Stitch" reference, but the point was made.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

What would happen if Lee Cataluna covered Nick Saban?

10. Aside from the loss of Jones, the AD dropped the ball many times. That said, it ain't easy at that place...time moves at a sea turtle's pace and when it comes to money, Hawaiian legislators are more concerned about how to get the money into their own pockets. There are serious issues with how to spend that Sugar Bowl money

11. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

This is kinda when the rocker makes it big. The first thing he does is leave is girlfriend. In this case, there's not a better looking broad waiting to take her place.

12. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

c'mon. it was both.

overrated in the sense that too few were willing to take their size/skill disadvantage into account. overrated in that a team who didn't even play the best schedule in division 1-AA shouldn't make the BCS.

underprepared in the sense that jones didn't make any O-line adjustments until it was too late. underprepared in the sense that colt brennan acted like he wasn't expecting to get hit that hard. underprepared in the sense that the chuck-it-and-chuck-it scheme was never adjusted. hawai'i should have taken one look at marcus howard and immediately gone to some statue of liberty junk. but no.

but it was indeed both. and the ad hoc-itry from the islands that hawai'i was somehow not overrated grows stale. c'mon. do you people really REALLY believe that was one of the 10 best teams in the country?

Draft saved Draft deleted