1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hawaii 5-0

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure that if I watched the original certain things would bug me more.

2. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

The flashing blue light, yes, but I read that the black marquis is the very same car Jack Lord drove in the original series.

Also, I only saw about the first 15 minutes of it because I was on deadline. What I noticed was the "movie"-like production quality (or at least, feel) it had. Mind you, I did not wait out the whole show. Was not that big a fan of original. But the production quality seemed more like a movie than a TV show. Anybody else think that way?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That would be a wise choice. One that might get me to watch. Now they just need to get Tricia Helfer to guest star. :)

I never saw the original, so most of the other stuff you brought up doesn't bother me. Maybe coming into this fresh is better. But yeah, these guys should both be dead already, so that if they are going to keep getting by on ridiculous luck, I'm going to lose interest fast.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Yeah, the news anchors on the local CBS station that came on after the show. They said the same thing. Then tried to talk their way out of hyping a CBS show on a CBS channel.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember the original (well, the later years at least). I watched mainly because it got good reviews and it looked like mindless fun. And it was. Like Alan Sepinwall, I don't get the love CBS has for Alex O'Laughlin (Sepinwall mentioned this in one of his blogs - I think this is the third series that CBS has put O'Laughlin in.). He's very nice to look at it, but he's stiff and seems to be playing the same guy as he did in his season on "The Shield."

I agree that he's way too young to be playing McGarrett and that they wrapped up the case way too quickly.

Still love the theme song. I read that they got most of the original musicians together to rerecord it.

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

That would get a lot of people to tune in. Grace Park is stunning.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Another point: I got called away from the TV for about 2 minutes right at the end, so I don't know if maybe they actually addressed this question, but you would think they would have set up the killer of McGarrett's father as a recurring super-villain of the series.

Although I suppose it won't take them long to reveal the original terrorist/hostage taker/McGarrett dad-killer was, of course, actually working under the orders of none other than Wo Fat.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was actually glad there's no recurring supervillain. CSI and The Mentalist already do that and it gets annoying when they jump back and forth between one episode that's dealt with in a week and another that goes on and on.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I look for the new Hawaii 5-0 to interface with other CBS shows.

10. Starman

Well, that's kind of de rigeur in drama series now: you have continuing story arcs that take several episodes or maybe the whole season (or more) to resolve, and individual subplots that are dispensed with in the span of one show.

Of course the series has to get off the ground and establish some staying power before you can really get into extended storylines. It doesn't do any good to plot out a season-long story arc if you get canceled after 6 episodes.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Perhaps the mole in the HPD working with organized crime will be a recurring mystery?

12. Starman

Yeah, that would make sense.

In the anti-government vein which is now sweeping the nation I am sure they will play up the conflicts/disconnect between the "conventional" police forces -- the Hawaii State Police and the Honolulu PD -- and Five-O.

Although that certainly brings up a more profound point than I am sure the producers have even thought about: is the idea of a governor authorizing an "off the books" police force that operates with "no rules, no red tape" really something that should be depicted as admirable?

Think about that the next time the jackbooted thugs kick down your door at 3 a.m.

Draft saved Draft deleted