1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Having trouble getting my focus

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by huntsie, Jul 23, 2008.

1. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Or maybe I just need to write this down and get it out. Here goes.
    Got a call Saturday morning from a good friend of ours.
    "I want you to write a very short death notice for me," she said.
    Her little granddaughter -- who would have been two months old the next day -- had died of SIDS the night before.
    The mother, a girl a year older than my daughter, a girl I had known since she was five years old, had gone in to feed her and found her cold in her crib.
    They were devastated of course. We went to the grandmother's house where family was gathered and the grandmother was amazingly strong, because she had to be.
    We went to the funeral home for visitation yesterday. An open casket, about the size of a dresser drawer. The little girl looked perfect. She looked like a porcelain doll. It hurt so much to see her, and to see this girl, the mother, so racked with grief. The grandmother too.
    I've had trouble getting any focus or giving a damn about anything in the world of play, and I suspect I will for a while. It's just not important, and I don't know if or when it will be.
    If you have any advice, I'm listening.
    And even if you don't...thanks for listening and being here.
    It's been hard to get

2. Flash

Flash Guest

You've had to write about too much tragic death this year. My heart goes out to you, huntsie. Be strong.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I got nothing in the way of advice. But I feel for you, and there are lots of people here happy to listen any time you need to vent. The first chance you get to step away from work, it may help to give yourself permission to grieve.

4. That's horrible, Huntsie.

I don't have sage advice for you, but if you need anything specific, feel free to ask here or pm.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

so sad. a friend's baby girl died of that about a year and a half ago. it was tough to see my friend go through that cause we have been friends for a long time and we have always been there for each other. the baby's dad wasnt in the picture, so i was one of the first ones to know she was pregnant. stayed at the hospital with her until she went home. but i couldnt imagine doing what was asked of you, huntsie. good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted