1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Haven't darkened the door...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

... of a theater since 1998, but Stephen King's "The Mist" just might inspire me.

Meaningless info: Last movie seen in a theater by yours truly -- "For Love of the Game"

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's almost 10 years old?

Fuck.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I had a stretch of more than five years without setting foot in a theater. I broke it to see Dodgeball, which I loathed.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I'm not sure that's something to brag about. It makes you sound like a shut-in.

And I am the biggest SK fan on here, but I'm not inspired by the previews for this. I hope I'm wrong.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Arnold: I certainly wasn't bragging, just more of a matter-of-fact admission.

The story in "Skeleton Crew" is my fave by SK, so that's why I'm even considering it.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Or someone who'd rather see two movies for the price of one at home, complete with cheap popcorn and soda and snacks, instead of in a theatre with overpriced concessions and chair-kicking, blabber-mouthing, cell phone talking morans.

I've seen two movies in the theatre in the last 12 months...one was "Knocked Up," which I saw by myself to pass the time on a Sunday night in another city, and the other was "The Simpsons," which I'd been waiting to see for 15 years. And I'm completely normal!!! :D :D :D

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

what's this supposed to mean [/sportsbruh]

8. ArnoldBabar

Yeah, it's a great story, but the only time I saw the preview I thought it looked crappy. God knows a lot of other kick-ass SK books and stories have become awful films. I think his stuff just doesn't translate well to the medium as a rule.

There have certainly been exceptions, though: Carrie, Pet Sematary, obviously The Shining, Stand By Me, Misery, Green Mile. But for every one of those you get five things like The Langoliers and Maximum Overdive.

The problem is that his well-known big books are too big in scope to be feature films and too adult to be portrayed well on TV. The miniseries versions of It (my all-time favorite), Tommyknockers and The Stand just end up being impotent reminders of how awesome it would be if you could make 6-hour big-screen features with all the bells and whistles.

9. ArnoldBabar

You calling yourself completely normal is a fantasy to which even Spielberg couldn't do justice.

10. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

I've only seen 2 movies in a theater this year. And only 2 others at home on DVD. Where do I qualify in this little game?

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

*Cough* Shawshank *Cough*

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I think in 8 seconds, he and Ron Jeremey could make the BYH life story, with commercial breaks.

Draft saved Draft deleted