1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have zero idea what to do after running over a skunk (seriously)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colin Dunlap, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

This is all true.
    Sad, yet true.
    I was driving somewhere just south of Olean, N.Y. Wednesday night and hit a skunk. Smashed the thing, obliterated it right there near the N.Y. - Pa. border on some back road.

Anyhow, I made it all the way back to Pittsburgh and my car still smelled like a mixture of a 40 football locker rooms and a pile of 1,000 rancid giraffes.

I immediately take it to one of those drive through car washes (in the middle of the night) and get the deluxe treatment, complete with the undercarriage deal.

I think it did the trick and park in the garage.
    Um -- I guess it didn't. How do I know? My wife woke up at 4:30am and said, "I think there is a skunk outside."

I had to fess up.

Earlier today (Thursday) I took the car, again, to a different car wash and had it done.

Tonight, I parked in the driveway rather than in the garage. I spent a decent amount of time in the house tonight and, just a few moments ago opened the front door as a test to see about the smell.
    And -- BAM! -- it hit me, almost knocked me over. So, long story short, the damn thing still stinks in a bad way.

What to do?

Generally I would just drive around until it goes away, but here's the kicker: I was planning on going to one of those Quick Lube oil change places Friday and would never wish that on someone, you know, the guy climbing underneath and having to be faced with such a stench.

What to do?

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Park farther from the house and let it wear off. Either that, or wash it in tomato juice.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Fill the gas tank with tomato juice. Works every time.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Spit take.

5. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Go to an Autoparts store. They will have something.

You could also buy a $10 pump spray from Home Depot and fill it with all the tomato juice you can find. Spray inside the wheel wells and all over the wheels.

That should help.

7. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Drive to Wisconsin and fuck the skunk.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I don't think the seriously was needed in the thread title, because most, if not all, of the responses were going to be of the non-serious variety.

And I didn't know that rancid giraffes were especially offensive.

Anyway, here's a photo of Colin and wife taking a drive this morning:

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

This thread needed another reference to this episode. :)

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

At first glance, I thought it said you ran over a skank. And in my mind I thought, yeah, that's probably not good.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Maybe it wasn't a skunk. Maybe it was a poor female cat who was running from a French-accented stalker and had white paint pour in a stripe down her back.

Draft saved Draft deleted