1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you gone skydiving? Or, would you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WriteThinking, May 26, 2013.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's pretty wild. How much liquor did you need to get up the courage to jump? :D

Yeah, it's tough to think of what could happen to my kid if there was a chute malfunction. Unfortunately, I can't say he'd be in good hands with his mother if I went splat. Funny how quickly the reckless, stupid impulses I used to have disappeared after he was born. :)

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It was pretty early in the morning, so I was stone cold sober.

I went bungee jumping in college off a bridge... That scared the living fuck out of me. My roommate, who also went skydiving with me said it was far scarier than skydiving.

3. ringer

ringer Active Member

I skydived (static line, not tandem) and regretted it for two reasons:

* I ended up in an ambulance and screwed up my shoulder for life. (Bad landing. It was really hard to gauge wind direction and my shoulder got ripped out of the socket while trying to flare.)

* Also, once free fall is over it's -- surprisingly -- boring as hell (until you land).

Bungee jumping is much, much better because it's all free fall and you're unlikely to break anything. It also takes infinitely more courage. If you want to feel alive, opt for the bungee.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I do it all the time. I think in a marriage, it's only fair.

Oh, sky diving. Never mind.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The free fall is what's great about it. The parachute ride didn't do much for me.

6. I did it about seven years ago in Hawaii. I always wanted to do it but I wanted to do it in a place where the view would make it extra special. Coolest thing I've ever done in my life. It was a tandem jump and you go with a professional so it really removes the fear that you might panic and end up not pulling the cord right or whatever else. Even if something goes wrong, those guys have a handle on it. Your job is to enjoy the ride and try to help land softly.

The free fall part is absolutely exhilirating. Once you get to the parachute ride, you can really take in the view and enjoy it. I'll probably do it again in my life but it will have to again be in a more exotic locale.

P.S. it's not cheap. I think I paid something like $230.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For Hawaii, that's not expensive at all.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm thinking you probably went where I went in late '70s. I did static line, too, and the worst part of mine was going through the 4-6 hours of training, only to find out in mid-afternoon that the winds had picked up and we'd have to come back the next day to actually jump.

That meant working up the nerve all over again, and a pretty sleepless night.

The jump itself was way cool. Stepping onto the plane's little tiny step, through that open door, bracing against a wing strut and knowing you weren't getting back into the plane was wild. Very neat as well to look way below and see birds flying down there. Super quiet, with helmet and mostly because you're near nothing that makes noise. Other than your heartbeat.

Missed the target area ... and the flight school compound ... and wound up on other side of the road in a cornfield, spraining my ankle on landing. Screw it, it was worth it. Got that over most of my buddies now. Had a roommate who was going to join me but claimed he was strapped for cash that weekend. Right.

Never had urge to do a second one. Would add little to the experience, while taking on 100 percent of the "risk" and trepidation again.

Oh and many years later I learned that my instructor, who had one of those fancy wing chutes when we were learning with Army surplus, perished in a botched dive.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Did that come with a reach-around?

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You're spot-on with the tiny step and wing strut. That was the hardest part even though that's exactly what you went there to do.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Chris the bastard is thinking about starting a similar thread. He's looking for feedback about attending a Tijuana donkey show.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I did it about a decade ago. Used to have a terrible fear of heights, and one day just said, "Screw this, I'm going to deal with it."

Went through the half-day of training, where they put on all of the scare tactics. Risk of death is 1 in 48,000 ("not that statistically high a number," one of my buddies, a stats professor, said later); that if you have to go to the emergency chute, "It's not a question of if you will be injured, but how badly," my instructor said.

I jumped by myself, not in tandem. Didn't want to. Your rip cord is tied to the plane, so it pulls automatically. Jump height was 3,800 feet. The most terrifying thing was when the plane door opened. The guy unlocked it, and it just blew back with such force it was jarring. You crawl to the open door and see nothing between you and the ground. I almost chickened out.

But I got out there and jumped. I actually loved the free-fall, but the happiest thing was looking up and seeing the chute deployed correctly. No crossed cables, which meant firing up the secondary parachute. Disagree with people who said they were bored by the floating. I lived it.

Fell upon landing, but no injuries. And, my fear of heights is almost non-existent, which was the point in the first place.

Draft saved Draft deleted