1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you gone skydiving? Or, would you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WriteThinking, May 26, 2013.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I don't do well with heights, I would not be caught dead bungee jumping, but I like flying and I would totally go sky diving.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

It's funny that I have zero fear of heights, but I hate the falling sensation. I'm usually the guy that everyone else calls when they need something done high up on a ladder, need a barn roof repaired, etc. But I don't even like amusement park rides where you "fall." I don't mind loop roller-coaster-type rides where you kind of zoom into the fall, but don't do well with straight drop kinda rides.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I went to Airborne school in the summer of 1988. Static-line jumps all, but skydiving nonetheless.

AIRBORNE!!!

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Crap, I never knew you passed through Fort Benning and got your wings. It's pretty much the highlight of my service career (other than the ARCOM I got before I separated).

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yep. I did it the fall of 2006.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone for your thoughts and perspectives.

This is an activity that probably naturally causes mixed feelings and a mixed mag of experiences. And that's where I'm still at with the idea, too.

I'm pretty conservative and straight-laced most of the time, but those closest to me also know me to have a bit of a spontaneous streak, so doing this is not out of the question. You all haven't completely scared me away from doing this.

But I think I'm still going to have to think about it some more.

For now, I think I'll just stick with the tamer whale-watching trip I've also got planned for my birthday, and I think I'll tell my sister that, yes, I'm interested but not quite ready to make this leap just yet.

I'll let you know if/when I do it, though. :D

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If this helps, I'm now 52 and close to 53. As I look back, I don't regret any of the things I've done (outside majoring in journalism :D ) but I do regret a lot of the things I didn't do.

8. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

My max: the 3-meter board. Never even reached for the RIP cord.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I went once in college.

I went up, jumped (tandem), and pulled the cord. Apparently, it went pretty smoothly.

I know this because I have pictures and video of me doing it.

I have ZERO recollection of it. None.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

So many flavors of "no."

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to go, but never got around to it. Now that I have a son, I doubt I ever will.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I don't think I'd be able to justify doing it again now that I have kids...

I've watched the video so many times and I have no idea why I can't remember any of it. I remember the training. I remember getting into the plane, and then it just ends... I don't remember jumping, I don't remember pulling the cord. I don't remember landing and based on the video, I was even talking to the guy who dived with me as we were soaring...

It was a year or so afterwards before I told anyone that I couldn't remember it. I asked my roommate if he remembers me doing anything strange that day and he said, "You looked scared, but no more so than the rest of us."

Draft saved Draft deleted