1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you given up?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Feb 19, 2008.

1. jboy

jboy Guest

Blog's going well, huh?

2. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

If dam did work for a Gatehouse paper -- which he eluded to as possibly being the case -- I'm pretty sure the job of the publisher is to be as hands-on as possible. Our publisher used to walk around the newsroom barefoot (seriously!) and change stuff on the editorial page like 15 minutes before deadline so it would meet the views of himself or the Chamber of Commerce. The best was when for the "War on Christmas" editorial he insisted that the line "And don't forget, Jesus is the reason for the season" be included. At least the AME didn't budge on that.

That was the same publisher that almost didn't let me bring a photographer to cover a local team at the state softball tourney (a whole 2.5 hour drive away) -- that another paper also covered -- because he was that cheap.

3. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

I second that. As good as things are for me now, I never fool myself into thinking that this is the be-all, end-all of my life. I've always kept the option open to where I can feel at peace and walk away from the field on my own terms. The itch to teach history at a high school level has never left, and it's one that will get scratched at some point.

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

He is an ass. Nothing the sports dept. does will ever be right

Draft saved Draft deleted