1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you fallen for a good pitch?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flash, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

What makes you listen to a media relations person and agree to do the suggested story?

I have what we think is a solid story to pitch and I just want to make sure I get the job done well when I approach an editor this week.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The first thing is an indication someone has read my publication and knows what we do, how we do it, and just as important, what we never do. If the PR person has no idea who my audience is, then I stop listening.

3. awriter

awriter Active Member

For starters, I'll always listen to a media relations person. Whether I do the story depends on what's being pitched, but I'm always open to good ideas. The problem is the media relations people for the teams I've covered have never -- repeat, never -- pitched an idea to me, and that just boggles my mind. I think they're so consumed by covering their team's ass that they either forget, or don't have time, to pitch a good human interest story.

4. Actual email I got from a media relations contact for a Division I university track and field team.

"Hey FireJimTressel.com, Susie Jumpsthroughhoops and Steven Jumpsoverstuff both won conference titles in the hurdles and they're dating. I thought that would make a good story sometime."

5. That's almost as good as the time our local D2 school SID complained that we weren't doing enough with their shitty basketball teams. Our interim editor at the time told him we're always open to story ideas if he has any. He calls back next day and says "I think you should do a story on the heart of the women's basketball team. Sure they're 6-15, but they never quit. That would be a fantastic story."

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Hahaha, well, I know what it's like to put up with enough of those phone calls. It's just weird being on the other side of the desk now and worrying about convincing people to do the stories.

7. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

Generally, if the PR person offers to show off her boobs, I'll give her my rapt attention. ;D

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I got hit with a mean 12-6 curveball after a heater last game I played

9. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I watch a 12-6 curveball for a called third strike in my final at-bat as a senior and for the season's final out.

Draft saved Draft deleted