1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have You Ever Won The Lottery?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Aug 2, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well, one of many possible reasons why we'd be former sports journalists...

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My wife won $500 on a scratchoff card that my aunt had sent her with a birthday card.

I won $40 once on a scratchoff.

My mom worked with a woman who won $5 million in a lottery. The coworker did quit her job.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think I'd have to win a real shit-ton to quit my job. Too much idle time can make money go away real fast. And having the health insurance can't be overlooked.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe about 15-18 years ago, I was a couple of days away from flying home for Christmas. And as was the norm, I was broke. But I played the lottery religiously. Not a lot, but on a steady basis. And the day before I was to fly home, I won $100 bucks on the Lotto. I've hit it a couple times since -- tho I can't get a $3 winner when I head to the two adjecent states that have the Lotto (because my stupid redneck state doesn't).
    But nothing meant more to me since than that $100, simply because it meant the difference between bringing home gifts and bringing home nice gifts.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No, but I laugh at the absurdity of how I'll buy a ticket when Powerball goes over $200 million. Since I can't be bothered to play when the jackpot is a meager $190 mil.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If I ever won the lottery I sure as hell wouldn't publicly post that fact here ... or anywhere else on the Internet.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going down to the wine cellar to count the $20,000 cash in small bills I keep there specifically for catastrophic emergencies. And tomorrow, I'm going to get another 911 Turbo; I really do feel I need one for each day of the week.

(I've won less than $20 a few times and won a bunch of free tickets, the equivalent of matching two numbers for a prize of $1.)

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I met Clubber once. It was LIKE winning the lottery.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I win money at the tables periodically, does that count?

9. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

because my balls always come correct.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's very true. Reading the problems some people had when they won the lottery was pretty shocking, to say the least.

Spouses who were married for a long time divorcing as soon as they got the check ... Winners getting hit with nonsense lawsuits by people they never met in the hopes of a settlement ... People banging on the winner's front door asking .. and sometimes demanding money ... Relatives who the winner never met suddenly materializing ... New 'best' friends ... Constant charity requests.

If I ever won a huge amount, I'd be living in a very remote island.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

God I've missed you. Don't be a stranger.

12. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

My cousin won $4 million in Florida about 15-20 years ago and the money absolutely ruined her and her family. She was single at the time and avoided every guy who was interested in her because she thought they were after her money.

She gave some money to her parents and brother, but they each wanted more and after awhile, the stopped talking to each other because all they did was fight.

I am not a rich man, but unless I win something like 100 million, they can keep it because I'd hate to see my life turn into hers. She is a bitter, single, middle-aged reasonably rich woman.

Draft saved Draft deleted