1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever wanted to punch your competition?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Beef03, Jun 18, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As others said, to hell with him. My issue would be with the PR guy. I would have said something to him right there, or pulled him aside for a quiet chat later. Then again, some of you may have noticed that I don't like to shy away from confrontation.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why can't reporters just shut up and do their jobs without the need to "get back" at someone?

Of course, there are plenty of Internet cowboys here who talk big and have plenty of advice to give.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's it! One flaming bag of dog poo is headed to your doorstep.

4. outofplace

There is a legitimate issue with that PR guy. It warrants a conversation. The "competition?" Meh. Not worth the trouble. That idiot will never get it.

5. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I have had my fill off quirky high school writers. Perhaps it's because I am not on a preps beat anymore, but every time I lend a hand (more like arm twisted), I encounter some of the most irritating people in this business. So freakin quirky and homerish.

I hate covering preps because of it, and it's terrible because the athletes are terrific and it's a breath of fresh air to have 1 on 1s and a wide latitude of writing.

Some of these guys are good writers, but my goodness are they tough to deal with.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

In night games when deadline might be close or day games that are blowouts I cheer for the clock too.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

On the girls' tennis prep beat how about dealing with competition like this -- the SE of the twice-a-week local paper is the husband of one of the coaches and double-dipping for the other major daily in town, writing under a pseudonym.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Wait. The SE of one paper is writing for the town's other paper under a pseudonym, AND is married to the tennis coach?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That certainly makes things complicated when the tennis moms come on to you.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm more surprised that girls prep tennis is a beat with competition to boot!

11. outofplace

Same here.

Reminds me of an SE I knew who coached the girls tennis team at one of the local high schools. He would cover their tournaments and quote himself in the stories. (If I remember correctly, he left the byline off).

This wasn't even close to the worst thing he did. Forget the competition. He was the one person I met in the business I truly regret not punching.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I'm in somewhat of a unique position: I teach high school by day, and do some side SID-type work to help out our athletic director (and am the PA announcer for a few of the school's teams). But I also do some broadcasting for a different entity -- one of the schools that we primarily cover is the one where I work.

Needless to say, I tend to get my share of opportunities to be a total homer. But, when I'm working a game as a broadcaster, I go out of my way to make sure I'm *NOT* wearing anything that has the school logo on it, even if I hand out game notes to everyone in the press box beforehand. It's a professionalism thing, solely for this reason. I don't want to be viewed as unprofessional and a hack and a homer. A lot of the people I work with on the school side don't understand why I don't wear all my Podunk High swag to the games ... well, you try interviewing the opposing team's coach while wearing a Podunk High hat.

Draft saved Draft deleted