1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever wanted to punch your competition?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Beef03, Jun 18, 2012.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Agreed. You strive to write better than them. You strive to scoop them. You may even complain about their stupidity on a message board somewhere. But you never stop being professional towards them and you NEVER pull a stunt like that.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. . .you never know when a job will come open at that competing shop that you feel you would be the perfect fit for and it would help to be on good terms with the people you see in the field on a regular basis.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

In 2011 these two guys didn't have their own phones to check it out?

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Our version of Clappy wears the same damn green and white striped polo to every game for one of the teams in our coverage area. But at the state baseball tourney this year, he took it a step further and competed his ensemble with a green clown wig.

Nobody on any of the teams at the school can stand him, especially the baseball team. The coach told me he had to kick the guy out of the dugout because, instead of shooting photos, he'd stand around asking all kinds of questions during the games and wouldn't leave the coaches or kids alone.

He's a nice enough guy, but his fanboi crap gets on my nerves.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Absolutely!

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Exactly! Or even a handheld device where other papers are Tweeting updates and/or live blogging, as I was the game I was watching, plus posting updates on the other game in our area that were being phoned into me. Those I can tell you, the rest, well, I'm the shortstop in "Who's On First?"

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've always respected you, Beef, and now I do even more. For not cheering. And for having enough self-control not to beat the snot out of that punk. Rock on!

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Punch a guy out over that? He didn't insult your mother. And yeah, I'd have had a bigger issue with the PR guy.

You just gotta mock those types to death. One of my competitors was a huge homer, especially in wrestling. You know how the most intense coaches are literally down on the mat with their guy, screaming? This guy wasn't far from that. I loved it. "You gotta be exhausted after that one, Tony." "Sorry for your loss, man." And so on. Of course he was too much of an airhead to even be insulted.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

No need for punches unless you want to get fired. The guy's a douche. Just ignore him.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Who knew a box lacrosse game created tension between reporters? I'm awaiting a thread on media fights at swim meets.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If the PR guy asked me why I wasn't cheering, I'd reply that if he really wanted me to start cheering, I'd start doing it.

For the other team.

Then, after he picked his jaw up off the ground, I'd tell him that cheering goes both ways, and he'd be better off having an objective reporter covering his game instead of a cheerleader.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A green clown wig???

Your version of Clappy needs to find a better hairpiece shop. :)

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I actually quite like that.

Playthrough: I'm normally fine to mock him, normally he's harmless and I just roll my eyes. What pissed me off was when he mocked my credibility. Sadly this job is about all I got, I do take it seriously, maybe too seriously.

Draft saved Draft deleted