1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever wanted to pull a Chris Snow?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Feb 9, 2007.

1. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

About a year ago, the AD on my D1 beat asked me to be his new media/SID guy. The pay was double what I make here. I'd run his department, he said.

Thought about it.

Told him no.

A few weeks later, we finished an investigation into the school that began before the offer was made. The resulting stories have been awesome. The dept. is in disarray. The AD is on his way out.

I can't tell you how largely my prayers were answered in regards to my decision.

I never once really thought about leaving newspapers, however the money was a lure, I'll admit. I love this business too much to give it all up for something else. Because I don't care what kind of evidence you present me, you cannot go home again.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

see: larry brooks, n.y. post. don't know that another comes to mind, though.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Besides Snow, another example is Terry Bledsoe, who was a sports columnist at the Milwaukee Journal in the 1970s and then became an assistant GM with the NY Giants and then GB of the Buffalo Bills.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

oh, former giants gm ernie accorsi made the move from sportswriter in philly to baltimore colts p.r., then climbed up. but brooks is the only one i know who went to the other side but then came back. marty hurney, gm of the carolina panthers, was also a scribe who made the move to the other side.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Wasn't Fred Claire a newspaper guy before he was at the Dodgers?

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

David Benner in Indy, from Indy Star beat guy to Pacers VP of public relations. And a great guy.

7. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Both Benners are good people.

8. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

My assumption, right or wrong, is that these guys you all mention were well established in newspapers before they made the flip flop. I'm thinking the example of unknowns who made it back is much smaller.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Does coaching Little League count?

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'd love to try my hand as the GM of an MLB team, but I'm not delusional enough to think it would ever, ever, ever, ever, ever happen.

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Why not?

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Around here, apparently it does. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted