1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever wanted to pull a Chris Snow?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

By now we all know about the former Boston Globe wunderkind who flipped sides and entered the world of major league pro sports management.

And we all know that everybody in the world has a fantasy team.

Seeing since we watch up close so often as the people in charge of teams or athletic departments bumble and stumble their way through their duties, do you ever:

1. Think you could do it better? And ...

2. Feel the desire to give it a shot?

Sometimes I just get the urge to want to make things happen rather than just documenting the actions of people who do. And fantasy sports don't really fulfill the itch.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Considering that professional sports is a growing business and newspapers are a dying business, I'd do it in a minute. I figure newspapers only have to last another 14 years for me to get to retirement.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I defeinitely would, but only in a personnel role. While I like to think I could play-call for your average NFL team, I doubt that is the case. As far as assembling a team, however, I think I could do an effective job.

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Yeah, I mean less Tito, more Theo.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think, though, that there are a lot of beat writers in this country could do a great job at this. They are constantly evaluating draftable talent and thinking about trade possibilities for the teams they cover, especially when it comes to shooting the breeze with their fellow writers and editors.

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

This is the reason I'm going back to school in September. A diploma got me into this biz. A degree might get me out. I've often thought of SID jobs, too (don't worry, I wouldn't be a dick). Either way, I'll still be in or around sports in some capacity.

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I would in a heartbeat. I'd love to have a job like that. As was said, newspapers are a dying industry, and sports seem to be doing nothing but rising in the American landscape. Besides, I think it'd be a fun, engaging, interesting professional move.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd love to do something with the Dodgers or Lakers.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I just recently took out a subscription --I hadn't read the mag in years.

And Jones has a whole bunch of pieces that you can find in the archives. His piece on McCain was terrific.

12. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

Have to agree. I could be a GM, not a coach.

Draft saved Draft deleted