1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever wanted to call your readers morons?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AMacIsaac, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Never thought readers were morons, but a few editors . . .?

2. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Every time I read a "reader comment." But those diminish my opinion of the human race as a whole, not just the morons who post them.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The column was poorly written but did prove there are a least 2 morons in the area.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

Someone please give me some background on when it became a trend in journalism to get fans' or readers' opinions on everything from the splitting of the atom to who is going to win the Super Bowl?
    i know we all go through it and, don't get me wrong, it does add a different flavor/angle/read to the story we're doing, but I tire of editors sometimes always insisting "be sure to get the readers' or fans' view" of what is going on.
    Did USA Today/Gannett start this? Or Entertainment Tonight? Or ESPN:The Magazine? Or who?
    It's almost like we're giving a free podium to some dumbass who gives a stupid viewpoint and, suddenly, he's got 15 minutes worth of fame or a line or two of ink that he probably didn't deserve in the first place.
    And if you are covering Joe Blow U. and ask a fan who cheers for Joe Blow U. what he thinks about the upcoming game, he's not about to offer much more than a big hooray for his team.
    But I know when we go out and cover thing, it's always that reminder: "Be sure to talk to some fans and get their take on whatever is happening."

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight. You're asking our input on why you hate asking people's thoughts?

6. micke77

micke77 Member

I guess I'm wondering, more than anything, why this trend began or why it has become more prevalent in recent years (or seems to have), as if suddenly a lot of the fans' opinions add that much "value" to the story. Maybe I am being very over critical of some of the responses I've gathered or maybe I am just expecting the same old same old from these fans.
    And maybe part of it stems from why I am wondering our editor ALWAYS insists on it with every game and event we cover. Weighed against what an athlete or coach who actually was involved in the said game/event, I personally think it ranks way down the list in value/importance.
    I have no problem asking these folks anything. And maybe I need to work on my preset belief that, if I am going to be interviewing Joe Fan for School A, he's not going to be offering that much of substance.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It never would have run in my shop while I was there. He would not have been gainfully employed as a columnist for my shop to begin with.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Couple reasons the fan comments are sought (not saying any are good reasons):

1. It's an easy way to localize a story.

2. It's a way to GET THE READER INVOLVED. And maybe get pictures that can turn into web hits.

3. It's a simple way of mainstreaming, if your paper is into that.

4. It's something even a News Reporter can do so that editors can feel confident that the story can go on A-1.

5. Best reason, I guess, is that if people see themselves reflected in the paper, they are more likely to find value in the paper. And there is no surer way to reflect someone in the paper than to get their comment and slap it in there.

9. micke77

micke77 Member

Ace.....you've convince me to be much less of a cynic in such regards. :D
    Honestly, all very good points.
    Guess I need to be reminded every now and then, right? :)

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not sure they are good points. Just trying to be honest. I hate fan stories, myself.

11. micke77

micke77 Member

Ace...my problem probably stems from -- yes -- being far too cynical and aware of what some of these folks will say, contribute, etc. I just see so much of it as shallow, etc.
    But again, your points are well taken and worthy. And I would do well to remember those once I enter The Cynical Zone. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted