1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever wanted to call your readers morons?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AMacIsaac, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

"It's not a columnist's job to make people angry..." Really?

There's a right way and a wrong way (of which this is Exhibit 3,406) of pissing off your readers, but anger is always a good emotion to elicit. It shows people care about what you're writing.

I won't call this publisher a moron, but journalistically ignorant fits rather well.

2. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

That hit me immediately too. What a pompous way to start an apology column. To me it's almost as condescending as calling the readers morons. Jeebus.
    And how on Earth did anyone think it was a good idea to run this column? I can ALMOST see the argument that it will evoke a response. But how could anyone in an editing position not expect that response to be complete outrage?

3. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I suspect the guy didn't have an idea for a column; that's the one he wrote and figured the outrage from readers and his follow up defending of his actions would carry him for a while.
    Ridiculous idea. He's where he belongs.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

As bad as that column was (the damn reference to being in Jamaica makes you wanna gag), I gotta wonder who in the hell let that damn story through in the first place.

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I'm guessing the editor who was fired. From the publisher's column:
    "the Times has parted ways with former editor John MacNeil and reporter Aaron Carr."
    The question is WHY did he let it through? I'm thinking he's a moron.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was thinking of someone more tied to this board...

7. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I've never wanted to call my readers morons.

Because without them, we wouldn't have jobs, would we?

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Had no idea Gregg Doyel moved to Canada.

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Readers morons? Only on days that end in Y.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I actually agree with him. It is not a columnist's JOB to piss people off. It is a columnist's job to provide opinion and analysis on a team, sport, players, etc. If pissing people off becomes a side effect of providing those honest opinions, so be it.

There's nothing worse than a columnist who believes it is his JOB to purposefully go around pissing people off, even if they don't believe a word coming out of their own mouths (or keyboards). You know who they are, and I. Fucking. Hate. those guys.

It is part of a columnist's job not to be AFRAID to piss readers off. But you shouldn't set out with that as your goal.

11. micke77

micke77 Member

While there has been an urge on my part to refer to readers as "morons", i have always concluded that i would much rather exert my energy and hopefully whatever talent I might have into something much more important. but yes, that urge has existed, especially with readers who might call in bitching about something you didn't run and yet it was there on the page for even Stevie Wonder to peruse and these idiots (er...morons) didn't see it.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That sucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted