1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever wanted to call your readers morons?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AMacIsaac, Feb 21, 2009.

1. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Of course you have. And many of you have noted as such right on these walls.

But this guy said it in print:

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:2Ypz2xPteikJ:highriver.siteseer.ca/PrintArticle.aspx%3Fe%3D1407047+the+fine,+upstanding+morons+of+High+River&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&client=safari

And is now on the unemployment line:

http://www.highrivertimes.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1428990

2. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Haha ... yeah, well ... that's the publisher, though. We all know they can't write.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Back on point, the column the guy wrote was just not print-worthy. Yikes.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I still don't know what the point was. Beyond trying to get fired.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I agree with the last two posts: this "morons" column was worthless. If you're going to go down in flames, at least make it worth your while -- get a few zingers in at some specific targets, or at least irritating groups of people.

Here's a sample from a farewell column an SE friend of mine wrote a few years back at a small daily in the upper Midwest. He thanked a lot of people (including me; that's why I saved it), then finished with a barb for the handful of nutty parents we all know and love:

(after referring to his own young son) "I have sworn to myself that I will not resort to the arcane tactics some parents use to cajole media into providing ink/airtime for their children.

"Parents, do your children a favor: Support them and be there for them, but don't take it upon yourselves to be their press agent."

Amen to that, B.R. Still true almost nine years later.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wow!! I gotta wonder if that columnist was drunk, stoned or otherwise impaired.

Many of us have called people morons in closed-door meetings or over drinks at a bar. but not in print. Unacceptable!!

He also used plenty of words not suitable for a family publication or community newspaper. If someone cannot find more eloquent words with which to express themselves, then journalism is not the field for them.

I've written for newspapers and magazines of varying sizes, but I've always tried to respect my audiences, even when I may have disagreed with their opinions. I feel sorry for the people who have to clean up this idiot's mess and rebuild the trust with readers and advertisers.

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Not really the point, but I think curse words can be used in print more in Canada than in the U.S.

8. times38

times38 Member

that reminded me a bit of reading Stephen A. Smith or Scoop Jackson.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Can be equally insulting, however.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

The readers who put anonymous comments after stories are morons. Fucking morons and nobody can convince me otherwise.

11. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Not so much. We couldn't even let NHL players say 'got our asses kicked' at the Sun.

12. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I'm convinced you have a really small fanbase.

Draft saved Draft deleted