1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever slept with a girl you met on the internet?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Jun 20, 2006.

1. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

You know, it's funny, I originally signed up on match out of curiosity, just to see if there was anyone in my current area or my hometown. And then I kind of ended up going down the rabbit hole (have fun, quote-function maniacs), and got kind of embarrassed about being a full member (once again). But I talked to a friend the night I signed up, and he immediately told me about two friends who met their significant others on there, and are now getting married to them. My friend: "It's pretty much the evolution of meeting people in the bar."

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I've got nothing but good things to say about Match.com.

But it gets expensive, so if you ain't gettin' any, it might not be worth it to keep going. Just like anything. ;)

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Roger that, and if things are going surprisingly well, I drag them back to my pad and have them sit for a clown portrait.

4. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

I've met a couple of really nice girls on match. had some good times. but I've got a mental block or something that would prevent me from ever telling my friends where I met them if they became my girlfriend. I feel a little guilty about all that because they both liked me far too much for their own good. or mine.

5. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

that was a sex joke, by the way.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Agree and disagree. It's certainly a safer, less smoky, less dingy, less drunken alternative to the bar.

But I've got several friends who date/have dated folks they've met online. To me, it just seems like the horribly awkward blind date experience x 100. At least the bar provides a somewhat spontaneous setting for you to determine if you and this person have a chemistry. With the online stuff, it seems--at least in the second-hand experiences I glean from my friends--that people are trying to convince themselves, right from "hi my name is XXX," that this person is Mr. or Mrs. Right. So right away, you're "on," if that makes any sense. You're working hard right away to convince yourself this is going to work, instead of just letting things flow naturally.

And that's how I always felt on the handful of truly awful blind dates I had back in the day. You talk on the phone, you latch on to any things that you have in common--"You like animals? ME TOO!!!!"--and you begin building this artificial anticipation for the date.

A friend who is still smarting from the end of a four-year relationship w/a guy she met online has dove head-first into another one. She's already bringing him around to card games with the rest of us and is already including him in her plans for the fall--her friend's wedding, her season tickets to football games, etc. It's like, geez, slow down. You guys barely know each other. Maybe this is her Mr. Right, but it feels a lot like she's trying to convince herself.

Just makes me doubly glad I met Mrs. BYH in college, where we did the fairly extended flirtation thing before we finally went out on a date. By the time we did go out, we knew each other well enough so that unless one of us stored severed heads in the trunk, we knew we were going to hit it off and have a wonderful relationship.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I did it the old fashioned way and had my dear great uncle Warren Jeffs arrange the marriage met my wife at dance club when we were in college.

I can't fault people looking for real relationships online.

8. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I mean, it's just like any other thing. You don't want to ONLY look in bars, you don't want to ONLY look at work, you don't want to ONLY look through set-ups by friends. You don't want to have your entire dating life exist online, but it's another option. It's absolutely got its flaws, but I think it can be helpful if you go at it the right way.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Speaking of the gentleman's B cups, I suggest y'all check out this Letter to the Editor that ran in Tuesday's Altoona (Pa.) Mirror:
    http://www.altoonamirror.com/articles.asp?articleID=2579

I still can't stop laughing.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

DELETE THAT GODDAMN, MOTHERFUCKING PIC NOW!!!

Fuck, the Moddys are all asleep. Dammit!

11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I posted the same picture on the myspace thread a few weeks ago. Don't worry, they'll delete it.

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I've done this and found a lady from my church. Her profile said she enjoyed skinny-dipping and erotica.

Draft saved Draft deleted