1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever "restored faith in humanity?"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Dec 15, 2012.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Yes, I have. I live for it. It's who I am.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I give a lot of cash away to people on the street.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I helped save the lives of these two men. Two days I'll never, ever forget.

http://www.army.mil/article/77726/Screaming_Eagle_Soldier_receives_Distinguished_Service_Cross/

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2011/mar/05/military-honors-2-for-valor/

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think it's safe to say you're the leader in the clubhouse each and every day...particularly for the next 110+ days.

Stay safe.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Thank you, TBF.

6. When my brother died and four or five of my closest friends in the world appeared at the funeral the love, loyalty and thanks I felt for them at that moment was unrivaled.
    I repaid one - making a long unexpected journey to spent 30 minutes with him at his father's wake.
    I would do any number of things for those men without question based on that single act of kindness.

I completely understand the reception you got for making that trip.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I think that if one does something that truly brings out the "restored faith in humanity" feelings, one is best not knowing that they actually did so.

And that the best way to pay it forward is for that person to do the same. But without ever knowing that you did so.

8. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I took out the trash for the old lady next door after her husband died. #20Acts

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That's actually what prompted my drive-through line practice. Someone did it for me. It's a small thing, but I was just floored when it happened.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I stopped a lady from running over my dog when he ran out in the street today, saving her the trauma of killing a lovable, chicken-allergic, one-eyed mutt. #20Acts

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I smiled at the cashier in KFC and told her I had no problem waiting while her register wasn't working. #20acts

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I've rented out a condo I own -- had to do it after I lost my last newspaper job and could no longer carry the mortgage after being out of work for a long time -- since 2009. I've charged $1250 a month, covering the monthly mortgage and HOA fee, and giving myself a little bit of profit left over.

The first tenants I had stayed two years. They were a very young couple (early 20s) with two little kids and another on the way. They were good about always paying the rent on time, and, oftentimes, even doing it a couple of days early. I appreciated that they always paid, on time, and in cash, and I admired how hard the husband worked and how he seemed to be a go-getter, willing to do whatever he needed to do in order to support his family.

But they were really struggling along on only the husband's salary, and after about a year, there were many weeks when he was not working in his regular job as much as he'd been doing previously.

I liked this couple and wanted to help, and finally decided to substantially lower the rent, to $1,000 a month. I stopped over at the condo one day to tell them the new terms, and I can still recall how the wife gasped, covering her mouth, her eyes tearing up, as she realized what I intended.

They were so appreciative, and it made a difference for them, I know. I'd been out of work a long time and had been struggling financially myself at the time, but I've almost never felt better about anything I've ever done.

I never second-guessed or had any regrets about that decision, and it was a win-win situation for all involved: The family stayed in the condo another year, and I had a good tenant, covering most of the mortgage each month, for another year before they finally completely outgrew the place and moved out.

Draft saved Draft deleted