1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever had abs?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

After a spring and summer of discipline at the table and in the fitness room, I'm proudly now just about two pounds away from dipping under my post-high school low. However, as I joked with my wife last night, you still couldn't find my abs with an X-ray machine.

Maybe, on a sports writers message board, this is the wrong crowd to ask :) But I will anyway. Maybe it'll help us ALL take a quick assessment of where we are, health-wise, compared to where we want to be.

Has anyone ever seen 'em? When did you LAST see them? Why and how did you lose them? Do you ever plan to see them again?

This seems completely narcissistic/vain, I suppose, but I also think that there are few things more symbolic of good health than a flat stomach. I'm personally tired of having to hide it with my clothes (and I'm in relatively good shape - not even close to obese, in-range BMI) or see it hang over my waist band. As I enter my 30s, I'm determined to head off preventable health problems.

Oh, and for you fortunate few - how the hell did you get there?!

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

"When did you LAST see them? Why and how did you lose them?"
    Had 'em on-and-off for about 7 years, though I have yet to shed my '09 winter weight. I forfeit lean looks for comfort food every winter and have no regrets.

"Do you ever plan to see them again?"
    Keeping a six-pack is a pain for most folks I know. It's an especially fickle area for men (even moreso as we age, I'm told), so I doubt I'll see mine after 30, if ever again. Won't miss them either. Working out is a hobby of mine, but nowadays I don't do it for the aesthetic results as much as the strength/endurance aspect. Toning up is a nice confidence boost, but I'm happy with not being winded after a long walk or a sprint up a few flights of stairs.

"Oh, and for you fortunate few - how the hell did you get there?!"
    Tons of cardio and core exercises; requiring more time than most working Americans have, especially when you have a spouse, property ownership and other fun things.

Good luck, Dick! I'd like to hear how you're doing here or on the Biggest Looser thread.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Now that I'm paying attention, I've found that one of the biggest obstacles is that people just throw food at you constantly. Whether it's the in-laws or parents inviting you over for a heaping plate of fat and carbohydrates. Or someone surprising everyone in the department with Dairy Queen. Or any number of similar events all summer long. Food is just pushed on you all the time, in situations where it would be completely awkward to refuse.

And when I do refuse politely, or try to explain I'm trying to watch what I eat right now, this is inevitably the reply, in some variation: "Oh, Dick, you look fine! I mean, look at me! You should quit worrying so much."

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Senior year of college, when I couldn't drink for the summer (probation for an MIP). They were around for about a month.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What's an MIP? And why did that prevent you from drinking anything you damn well pleased?

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Still have 'em. But instead of a six-pack, they're a lot closer to a pony keg.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When I wrestled, so maybe junior year of high school?

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I indeed have an antilock brake system as we speak

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Minor in possession (of alcohol). In some states you automatically lose your license and there actually can be serious legal consequences if you get popped again while on probation from the first offense.

MIPs are a dime a dozen in college towns; they're an easy arrest and a nice revenue source for the cops.

10. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

When I first got in journalism, the hospitality suite put a quick end to my abs.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

First semester of college I worked out pretty hard and developed a two-pack, which looked pretty good on my 230-pound frame. Then unstaffed drinking way more and working out a lot less and by haven't been heard from since.
    Funny thing about genetics, my dad is 6-feet, maybe 150 pounds and he has a washboard stomach. He doesn't work out, drinks a ton and eats whatever the he'll he wants and he's got a body any guy any age would kill for.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I have six-pack abs. I just keep them hidden under the insulation!
    Seriously, what are these abs you talk about?

Draft saved Draft deleted