1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have You Ever Fished For Tilapia?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Phil Mushnick raises a good question.

http://nypost.com/2014/03/15/the-great-tilapia-mystery/

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/science/earth/02tilapia.html?pagewanted=all

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And what's with airline food?

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm with Mushnick on this. Only I think it's less than 20 years that I first started hearing of this not-very-tasty, not-very-nutritious "fish."

In my experience, tilapia is a food in much the same way popcorn is. It's just a vessel to get salt and butter into your mouth and arteries.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is a truly great old-man rant that should not be overlooked.

Regarding the substance of the complaint, Mushnick living in New York (or o_t in Wisconsin) wouldn't have been likely to encounter this fish before transportation systems became more advanced, since it's a warm-weather creature that can't survive below 50-60 degrees.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The reason it's on menus everywhere is because it's cheap, and pretty versatile, because, and Tony points out, it's not packed with flavor.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think it's less a rant and more an observation and a fine one at that. I don't
    recall ever seeing Ted Williams and Curt Gowdy fish for Tilapia on
    The American Sportsman.

What kind of rigging do you need to catch Tilapia?

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

When I see the word tilapia, I always imagine a hot latino giving me a lap dance.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ted and Curt went after bonefish most of the time.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It's a very pedestrian fish, but there's no reason to hate it.
    Fart's wife loves it for the same reasons many people hate it: It has virtually no flavor or texture.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's a factory farm fish. But in some places, you can actually fish for them. Sixtoe probably knows best, but I've heard you jig for them like crappie.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When tilapia is abbreviated TLP at the bottom of the Sportscenter crawl, Mushnick gets really pissed.

Draft saved Draft deleted