1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever bought anything from an infomercial?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigSleeper, Nov 27, 2007.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Just curious. Ginsu knives? Flavor Wave Oven? Pocket fishermen? Ab Rocker? Share your stories ...

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I bought a set of kitchen knives from an in-store thing like an infomercial once. My mom still uses them, 10 years later. Swears by them.

Also bought a rag that is super absorbent, like that can soak up 10 cans of soda out of carpet. It's still in the plastic wrap in my closet.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

My wife and I got the FoodSaver a few years ago. It's been pretty useful. Now she wants the Flavor Wave oven.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

You getting a check for that plug?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

I got the hand-hammered wok years and years ago. Still love it! Those Magic Bullet commercials are addictive, but so far I've managed to keep myself from buying that.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Is that super-absorbent rag orange, by any chance? If so, you should open it and use it. I have two of 'em (they were a two-fer deal when I was sapped into buying them on a shameful day at Wal-Mart) and they're quite useful. You know, if you ever need to soak up 10 cans of soda out of the carpet, or something like that.

The demonstration at Wal-Mart was quite impressive.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yes.

Bought the food defroster, this black plate made of space-age material with ridges that you wet with warm water and it speeds up the defrosting of frozen blocks O' meat.

$20 well spent. The gizmo works great and I've gotten a ton of use out of it over the years.

One year for Hanukkah/Christmas, my dad bought us the deluxe rotisserie oven that Popeil plugs. But he bought it at Gottschalks, not off the TV. It's pretty good; we cooked turkeys and prime rib on it and it works really well.

I keep leaning toward pulling the trigger on the food dehydrator, because I'm a sucker for kitchen gadgets. But ration and logic sweep over me before I can get to the phone.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It is! But I refuse to be friendly to you on the week I must stomp you in fantasy football.

Next week, we discuss soda spills. For now? Sworn enemies!

:D

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Very, very tempted by the Magic Bullet. Then local TV did a test on it and found it lacking.

http://reviews.ebay.com/MAGIC-BULLET-BLENDER-Must-read-this-BEFORE-you-buy_W0QQugidZ10000000002532646

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Strange, Smasher. My wife bought one at Bed Bath and Beyond and loves it.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I bought that washboard looking food slicer when I was in college. I used it religiously until my roomate sliced his finger on it and I had to take him to the emergency room. Couldn't bring myself to use that one, or buy another one again.

Draft saved Draft deleted