1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever been thrown under the bus by a team you cover?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Babs, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Babs

Babs Member

How did you respond?

Privately? Publicly? Not at all?

Did you do more investigation to double check you were right, even though you knew you got the story right the first time?

I need some advice here. No time for jokes.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

No offense, but you need to be more specific.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

my vast experience has been that if you cover a team well and ultimately write a well-researched, negative but fair piece, the club and its players won't throw you under the bus. 8) 8) 8)

more specifics would be helpful, though.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A. Make sure you are right. Yeah, you already know you are right. Make sure again.
    B. Stick to your guns.

Unless you are wrong. Then you have some work to do.

5. Babs

Babs Member

OK, let's say the team puts it out there in public that one of your stories is no good, using some pretty mean adjectives that I can't (for anonymity's sake) repeat. Is this enough info?

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes, being right and standing by your story is essential. as is to keep showing up.

7. Babs

Babs Member

How, specifically, should one stick to one's guns though? Confront them? Write a follow-up about it, mentioning the controversy (via blog, etc)? Or is just showing up the next time and going about one's normal business enough?

8. Moderator1

Are they right?
    If not, your story makes them look even worse for doing this.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

have your managing ed or sports ed call the top management person or coach to let him know you stand by the story. and keep showing up and doing your job. it's part of being a professional.

and rest assured, the players know the deal. if you are a regular around the team, you get a rep pretty fast. players give one another a head's up about which reporters they can trust.

10. Babs

Babs Member

They make an innuendo that there's much more going on. Which the public of course will buy.
    But based on many off the record comments prior, I stick by my story. It's pretty hard to prove a negative though, that there is absolutely nothing else going on. A real quandry now that I think about it...

11. Moderator1

Well, your story should be solid enough that it is clearly right to your readers. If it isn't, there's a problem.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

still awfully vague. is it management throwing you under? ??? ??? ???

Draft saved Draft deleted