1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever been arrested?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was out with some friends awhile back and I was stunned at how many had been.

I was once about 16 years ago when I was pulled over for flipping an illegal U-Turn and unable to provide my license or proof of insurance. They were on my desk at home because I had renewed the insurance the previous day. Nothing was expired. I even knew the name of my insurance agent and asked the cop to call her. Instead, he cuffed me. The cop asked to search my car. I said sure, even though I knew my rights. I had nothing to hide. I had my old license plates in the trunk, which are illegal to have. He acted as if he had found a brick of heroin.

They cuffed me, put me in a holding cell for two hours and I was released. When I went in front of the judge, she apologized to me and muttered something about "this is the reason why people don't trust the police" This was in a snooty suburb.

I've been put in a police car a couple times once for a bar fight when I was in college and once for mouthing off to a cop after getting a ticket for violating the open container law. I had been on the porch at an outdoor bar and a few of us jumped over the wall to see a fight and I still had my beer in my hand... Oops...

Curious what stories others have to share...

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

No, and it is my ardent desire to keep it that way!

I have been in police more than once, always for some kind of disorderly conduct type stuff when I was young and in the Navy. There was usually a group of us, and each time the cops said, "You boys in the military?" "Yes sir." "Get out of here, and don't be causing any more trouble tonight."

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sure, when I once shot a man in Reno, to just watch him die.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Parking tickets and a couple speeding tickets, but nothing even close to an arrest.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A underage alcohol violation when I was in college. Was ticketed and that was it.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The only time I've been in a police car is when a cop gave my friend and me a ride back to our hotel from a train station in San Jose at about 3:00 am. We couldn't get a cab and when the cop couldn't get us one either, he drove us over himself. Nice guy.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Never arrested. A few traffic tickets, a few times getting pulled over and getting off with a warning, pulled over and got pulled over by a plain clothes detective in an unmarked car and got my ass chewed out after not realizing who I had just flipped the bird to (but once the car was behind me with the red lights flashing in the grill, I realized my mistake)

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Three years ago a state trooper pulled out behind me and turned on the lights. I went a half-mile to the next parking lot so I could get completely off the road. When I got stopped, the patrolman was yelling at me to get out of the car, so I did and he had his weapon drawn. Cuffed me, put me in the cruiser and called for backup.Two sheriff's deputies came and they poked around in my car. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but it looked like they were talking him down from the ledge. He gets in the car and starts telling me the law requires me to pull over immediately. He thought I was trying to get away. I told him I was looking for a safe place to pull over (the asshole had the luxury of pulling his gun on me without having to worry about getting run over, thanks to my decision). The only positive here is he didn't ultimately arrest me. Wrote me a ticket for failure to yield to an emergency vehicle and one for speeding. The first one was thrown out.

So yes, this is why people don't trust the police. I'm pretty close to loathing.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Had to pick up the garbage and go to the Group W bench.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sounds like Stockbridge, Mass. Were there all kinds of mean, nasty, ugly looking people on the bench there with you?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They arrested me, and they put me in jail, and they called my pappy to throw my bail, and he said, 'son, you gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop driving that ... hot ... rod... Lincoln. '

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Never been in a squad car. Couple tickets I deserved, got away with tickets a couple of times when I should have gotten some, drove drunk once in my life when I was 19 and it scared the shit out of me the next day, so I've been on the straight and narrow since.

Twice in college I was in the "danger zone" of being arrested ...

1) Lived with about 8 guys, and 2 of them were complete fuck-ups. They stayed back one Christmas break, and when the rest of us came back, one was trying to sell about 200 CDs, saying "a friend of his back home was re-doing his entire music collection and vision and wanted to get rid of these" and the other one had a new TV, VCR (it was the 1980s) and a bunch of videotapes, and said they were Christmas presents from his uncle, and if his parents call not to mention it because this uncle doesn't get along with his parents. Obviously all stolen stuff. The first guy dropped a couple of CDs on the desk in my room, saying to listen to them and if I like them, give him $5 for the pair. They sat there for a couple of days until we get the police knock on the door one morning. They start going through the rooms, and I had to go to class, so I flagged down one of the cops, gave him my license, pointed out the CDs, told him who gave them to me and to let me know if he needed anything.

2) At a house party when I was a junior, hitting on a freshman who wanted nothing to do with me. We were in the backyard, with her back to the house, and I saw the police in the kitchen window hassling people. We both had the big red (full) beer cups in our hands, so I told her to not turn around at all, but to walk straight ahead with me, out of the yard and to the sidestreet. We got there and I told her why. We both dumped our beers in the street, and an officer coming from the other direction saw that and started to hassle us. I played the "Yes sir, no sir" game and he let us go with a warning. The freshman was very appreciative that I got her out of harm's way, so that was a good night.

Draft saved Draft deleted