1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have we really reached the point where it's OK to leak an athlete's medical chart?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by schiezainc, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This reminds me of Dan Rather and the National Guard Dubya story before the election in 2004.

The medical records look like they are from some archaic computer.

It would be an interesting twist if Schefter were set up with false info, and JPP reports to camp wagging his index finger. Oh man, I would love that. Fuck ESPN.

schiezainc likes this.
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Apparently, the Giants found out when everyone else did: when Schefter tweeted it.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For some reason, I'm imagining Bill Simmons doing a Jim Ross impression.

"GOOD GOD Almighty! It's Jason Pierre-Paul's finger!!!"

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

1. There's no way that Adam Schefter or ESPN paid somebody for JPP's medical records. No fucking way.
    2. The ethical debate is fine, but please drop the idea that the story is just as good without the records. It's not. People don't believe anonymous reporting any more. Too many swings and misses. The document adds layers of credibility to the story.
    3. I was listening to Mike & Mike this morning. Someone needs to lock Adam Schefter in a room and not let him out until he learns what "ironically" means, and how to use it properly.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'm in favor of locking Mike, Mike AND Adam in a room, and beating them with a stick.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't think people understand how exciting people find it to be involved in a big story, even anonymously.

I am surprised journalists don't get this.

Passing along something like this to a big time reporter is thrilling to people.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd be thrilled if I sold a $16,000 espresso machine, but you were pretty nonchalant about it.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

C'mon, that post dripped with Fanian humblebrag.

Ace likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

No. I was pretty pumped.

Can you believe the inlet valve to the steam boiler leaked when I went to install it! That was kind of embarrassing, but I was able to replace it.

The best part was that there wasn't a ton of back and forth necessary to make the sale. There old machine was 16-years-old. It had had a bunch of expensive repair in the last few years, and I had been encouraging them to purchase a new one for a while now.

The building management company that owns the machine -- it's in a corporate cafeteria -- has a new boss. When I explained -- over the phone -- that their current problem wasn't wort repairing, she just gave the go ahead to buy a new one.

The only hassle was waiting for them to decide if they wanted it shipped overnight, and then hanging around here for it to be delivered.

But, it made a good week into a very good week.

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good for you, YF.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Jeff Novitzky agrees.

Vombatus likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

Seriously.

People get their hands on something important, and they want to do something with it. Even if no one knows it was them, they still get a thrill when the story goes public.

Draft saved Draft deleted