1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have we really reached the point where it's OK to leak an athlete's medical chart?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by schiezainc, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I figure the Giants released it, not JPP.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Not likely but wasn't it his right to decide that?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My guess is it came from JPP, through his agent. Why the anonymity then? Who the fuck knows? That's the culture of that league.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Why the need for the photo of the records?

Schefter doesn't tweet photos of the signed contracts every time he breaks a contract signing.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This is the part that bothers me. Do we really need to see the records? Isn't enough for Schefter to say he viewed them?

schiezainc likes this.
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In ethical terms, what's the difference?

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Well, it doesn't put all the info out there in such a personal way.

9. LongTimeListener

Sure it does.

The ethical violation is the leaking of the records. Once that's done, whether there's a picture of a typed piece of paper is a distinction without a difference.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I should add that eithically, it's probably not much different. But it just seems creepier to offer the info through something that is supposed to be private. Reporters get their hands on private documents all the time, but unless it's public record, they shouldn't put it out there like that.

schiezainc likes this.
  11. LongTimeListener

What? Reporters shouldn't publish documents that aren't already public records?

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Those prosecutions are INCREDIBLY rare. Less than 1 a year across the country since HIPAA was enacted and with all but one exception they have been limited to cases where the person used the information for financial gain. So unless the person who leaked JPP's info - assuming that they are even a covered entity, which is a huge assumption - would have had to been paid for the leak for the government to even seek a prosecution, based on DOJ's past decisions.

Draft saved Draft deleted