1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have we really reached the point where it's OK to leak an athlete's medical chart?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by schiezainc, Jul 8, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

You didn't pay much attention in your History of Journalism class, did you?

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I must have been absent on the day where the professor was going over ways to ignore your moral compass and basic desire for human decency.

4. LongTimeListener

That must have been it. Kind of hard to think someone could have completed a journalism education and still believe that line existed until only recently.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Every time I see an anonymous quote that says "XXXX asked not to be identified because he is not authorized to speak to the media about the case," I wonder where it will lead next. I guess now it leads to medical records. Because media types encourage it.

schiezainc likes this.
  6. schiezainc

Oh, I have no doubt the line has been crossed a number of times but I guess my issue is, where does this stop?
    Suppose a custodian plants a little recording device in a therapists office. Are we OK with ESPN running the audio of an NBA player's therapy sessions if that player is having a rough season?
    Is it alright for MSNBC to air photos of an actress getting an abortion because, hey, she's in a new comedy this summer!
    I hate to side with athletes/celebrities/politicians here but if this is the way our industry is going and people like LTL seem OK with the direction of everything then, please, show me the door.
    Then again, I never had the stomach for these kind of stories. I guess that's why I'll spend the rest of my career at a lowly community weekly newspaper. But at least I can rest my head on my pillow at night and look myself in the mirror in the morning and that's worth more than any viral story.

7. LongTimeListener

You really don't think it's big news that a franchise player is having fingers amputated, and after previous indications were that it was just a minor injury?

8. schiezainc

No problem with the news itself being reported. Have a MAJOR problem with it being reported the way it is here. Tell me why this story needed to be reported this way, save for the whole "Get it first and get it fast" mentality that is all too prevalent today.
    You mean to tell me someone as well connected as Schefter couldn't have found a different way, other than forwarding leaked medical records for the world to see, to tell this story? Seriously?
    Why stop there? Why not leak his entire medical history, social security number and billing information while you're at it?
    It's just gross and if you don't feel as slimy reading this story or looking at the leaked nudes of Jennifer Lawrence and others a few months back, well, I really don't know what to say to you.

9. LongTimeListener

You never know what to say to anyone besides Rhody. Say hi to him at the next Mensa meeting.

10. schiezainc

Hell, while we're at it, maybe we can see if Zack Hample has a way to get his hands on the lopped off finger. I hear he's willing to give it back to JPP for a sizeable donation to charity and a photo or two.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Also, do we know who JPP is screwing? Make sure that's in the sidebar.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Was he somehow going to keep a finger amputation secret?

Draft saved Draft deleted