1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have we reached the breaking point on Sulking Jay Cutler?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I'm guessing you read Mariotti, too.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I do think the media shares some of the blame. Overanalyze every little thing, like him getting up off the bench and taking a walk on the sidelines. Always looking for some sort of controversy.

When you constantly point a microphone in someone's face and practically bait them, what sort of response do you expect? Honestly, I'm surprised he hasn't gone Ryan Leaf on someone yet.

There's going to come a day when athletes, en masse, entire teams, tell the traditional media to take a hike. You wanna know what I think about coach's decision to bench me, or the upcoming game? Read my twitter account.

Used to be sports franchises benefitted from the publicity the media created. Now, the media has become just a nusance that can be avoided.

As for Cutler, yeah, he's probably a prick. Nothing unique there. Just ignore him and go on. Plenty of other dudes on a team to write or talk about.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPK3cDl7Ftw

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

This. When Romo's name comes up, that's the first thing I think about, not about what's he's done on the gridiron.

5. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Tired of hearing about him altogether.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I didn't even realize it was a huge story, having watched the game and read some of the coverage, until a friend in Indianapolis told me that they were flipping out about it on Indianapolis radio yesterday.

When it happened during the game, it just looked to me like Tice strolled over to give some quick advice or encouragement, just a, "Come on, Jay, you have to hit that receiver!" And Cutler standing up was an, "I know, I know ..." acknowledgement. I took it more like two guys knowing what the other is thinking almost before he says it.

The whole thing is silly. It's an emotional game.

7. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Football is an emotional game. No doubt about it. Maybe Jay Cutler was trying to avoid a confrontation. If I get mad at my wife, I tend to walk away rather than say something I'll later regret. That's acceptable.

But the Bears won. Convincingly. He was excellent. Who cares if he's a jerk? Why blow every little incident out of proportion? If they were losing, that'd be one thing, because it'd be a sign that the team is falling apart. But when they're winning? Yawn.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I suspect there have been athletes who were jerks for decades. It's just that with the intense media spotlight, more and more is exposed for people to digest. I choose not to.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Cutler probably shouldn't have spent all that time sulking. It gave people the impression he was sulking.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Trib needs to follow the NYT and talk to a "body language expert." That guy nailed it back then that Eli wasn't a leader.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm not defending anyone here. Your comprehension skills are slipping.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

No worries. He'll just throw the ball to Charles Woodson.

Draft saved Draft deleted