1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have We Ever Enjoyed A Good Run?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 19, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But Carter was working on that problem.

He was organizing the farmers to grow more corn and grains, and the electric cooperatives were preparing to build power stations to accommodate these bio fuel plants.

President Carter was all set to have America start selling fuel to itself for $1.00 a gallon (just a number I made up) and then the Middle East drops their price from $1.05 to $.95 and the American farmer is screwed.

Ragu, if we would have followed Carter's plan, we wouldn't give two squirts about foreign oil today.

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

God bless you, devil, but you're rowing against the tide. Carter talked about sacrifice and hard choices. Reagan talked about going back to the good old days. Guess which vision people preferred, even if it was a fantasy?
    And I'll say, though my first-ever presidential ballot was cast for Carter, and I voted for him again in '80, though he's done a lot of good in his life --- if you've ever read any of his books, he's a sanctimonious, ascetic, odd guy.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Do the math - If we used 100% of our corn for ethanol it would give us 10% of our energy needs.

Not only would it not have solved our problems it would have created more in food needs and prices. We are seeing food prices go up now because of increased ethanol production.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

93Devil, If Jimmy Carter had some magical way to make energy costs cheaper than what oil costs, America would have jumped all over it. Actually, so would China and a bunch of other countries that aren't sitting on lots of oil.

There's nothing stopping anyone from going all Bill Gates on the energy sector and revolutionizing how we fuel our economy... Well, except that no one knows how to do it cheaper than what oil costs.

5. The Big Ragu

Bear, "Sacrifice" for what end? Should we stop using electricity and driving cars just for the hell of it? How does that benefit anyone; why would people intentionally lower their standard of living??

6. 93Devil

Boom, it costs more to ship the food. Price of gas goes up, cost of shipping goes up.

Farmers were asked to expand their corn crops in the 1970s.

7. 93Devil

There is still profit in the ground.

Once that profit is gone, we will see the alternative fuel type. I'm almost convinced Chevron or Shell already has it.

But there is still profit in the ground.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Ragu, if I understand correctly, I think you're pointing out what the problem was with Carter's vision -- the emphasis was on the sacrifice, and not on the possibility of a payoff.

9. The Big Ragu

93, We actually subsidize corn farmers in this country, and growing corn is STILL not a profitable activity. And when it comes to ethanol, sugar cane-based ethanol burns much more efficiently -- and cheaply -- than corn-based ethanol. Sugar-based ethanol costs less to produce and generates more than eight times more energy per unit than corn-based ethanol.

Of course, sugar costs twice as much in the U.S. as it does anywhere else in the world because of government-guaranteed fixed prices for sugar and tariffs and quotas that don't allow anyone to import sugar from somewhere else more cheaply. As if that isn't enough, there is a Congress-imposed 54 cents per gallon tarriff on sugar-based ethanol, to protect the corn growing industry.

Incidentally, Jimmy Carter was the one who instituted the price fixing to boost the sugar industry and supported the tarriffs on foreign sugar:

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=7451

He's by no means the only problem though. The sugar and corn industries have had hundreds of politicians in their pockets. The end result is lunacy, though. Our government pays billions in subsidies to try to get us to use more ethanol... and at the same time, it institutes tariffs and quotas that guarantee we use less of it, and in terms of the ethanol we use, it guarantees we use an inferior, less energy-efficient type.

Not that it really matters that much. The price of oil is what is killing us. Even sugar-based ethanol would only have so much effect on that.

James Surowiecki wrote something about this in the New Yorker a year or two ago, and I was floored when I started reading up more about it.

10. 93Devil

True, Ragu, but if we were able to produce our fuel inside of our own country, and thus keep the dollar moving in our own borders, we would be much better off.

Right now, the Middle East has us by the balls. Carter was working ending this dependency.

Should we be investing in nuclear? Yes. Without question.

Should we be researching turning shale oil and coal into a usable fuel? Yes. Without question.

We need to be the producers of energy. Not just the buyers of energy.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In 1980 farmers were producing 5 billions bushels of corn. In 2007 they produced 12 billion of which 20 % goes to ethanol.

Yes - transportation costs are high but remember animals are feed corn so cost of feeding is much higher as cost of corn sky rockets due to demand.

Carter plan was not viable - pure and simple.

Again - do the math - 100 % of corn to ethanol would give us 10 % of our fuel needs and a huge food shortage problem.

12. 93Devil

Boom, if the math you want is our current energy situation, then you can have it.

IMHO, Carter would have looked at continuing to solve the energy problem, not slapping a band aid on a wound that needed stitches.

What have the last four Presidents done to try and solve the current energy problem?

And don't tell me people did not know this day was coming.

Draft saved Draft deleted