1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have We Ever Enjoyed A Good Run?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I been through more Presidential elections than I care to admit. In all of them that I can remember it seems that the common theme of the candidates has been a focus our problems. In election years it always seems like the glass is half empty.

The question that comes to mind- are things always as bad as candidates portray them to be or are they better? Have we ever had a good run where a candidate could honestly stand up and say "life is good"?
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

"Are you better off now than you were four years ago?"

-- Ronald Reagan
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Herbert Hoover did, and we all know how well that turned out.
  4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Reagan era was first to come to mind - but then there was Iran/Contra which tempers it a bit.
  5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Reagan would be my first choice, and in 1984, it did seem logical.

Although his allegiance to foreign oil and energy would greatly hinder America for the next two decades and beyond.
  6. The Big Ragu

Did he pledge allegiance to foreign oil every day?
  7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If we knew then what we know now, it might not have been a good answer. But in 1984, I'd say that may have been the last time people could feel positive about things.
  8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Plenty of tumult 1980 to 1988, and to hear the hardcore Reaganites tell it, we were never closer to nuclear annihilation than we were during those years - but that the Great Man saved us. Plenty of global upset and violence. Also plenty of scandal besides Iran-Contra to fret over - like the Savings and Loan debacle.

For the appearance of placidity, I like Ike, '54 to '59, but those times were fraught as well once you peek behind the draperies of suburban prosperity. History seething and churning, as it always must, just beyond the shimmer of Donna Reed's organdy cocktail dress.

The pre-Crash 20s? Harding, Coolidge, Hoover?

History's pretty relentless. There's no ease anywhere when you really look, is there?

homo homini lupus
  9. The Big Ragu

Who are you calling a homo, you wolf?!?
  10. 93Devil

No but the hostages were bring released on the day he was being sworn into office.
  11. The Big Ragu

I'm totally not following.
  12. 93Devil

Draft saved Draft deleted